Closed for rock, < 250$
Dec 20, 2009 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

enemigo

100+ Head-Fier
I've got the MS-1, they're doing a good job for rock, occasionally they may a bit fatiguing though. Anyway, I need a phone that will isolate a bit more than the MS-1.

I've been looking at ATH-AD900, but it seems they don't isolate much more.

The Shure SRH840 looked promising, but most people seem to love them for anything but rock. It seems the MS-1 outperforms the SRH840 in this department. I'd really like to get a phone that is at least on par with my Alessandros, even if it means spending a bit more.

The Ultrasones seem to be a bit bass heavy and more suited for techno/trance.

The AKG K701 or DT880 might be what I'm looking for, unfortunately they will cost well above $300 included shipping and VAT.

The DT770-80 is way too bass heavy for me, I find them uninvolving. The DT660 I find boring and too thin. I think my ER-4S perfroms quite nicely.

Appreciate any suggestions.

K

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 39
It seems the DT880 can be had for slightly less than $300 included shipping, that's just $100 more than the SRH840. It's 50 more than the Proline 650 and it's a bit cheaper than the K701.

Listening before buying isn't an option, so I'll have to rely on feedback, and the search function
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like k601 with rock ! But amp could be a problem they need power to sound best...

I've missed the k601, will be looking into that one. I have a few somewhat cheap amps, might be adding a 2nd set of buffers on my home-mintish amp.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like k601 with rock ! But amp could be a problem they need power to sound best...

I find the K701 for $295 shipping included, the K601 can be had for $290 shipping included...

When reading about the k701 vs k601, the k601 wins on price, but there isn't any price difference for me. Would I still go for the k601 for rock?

Edit: Is the AKG Kx01 leaking substancially less than Alessandro/Grado?

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any models in particular?

I dove into the HFI-780 and love them for rock (bass is strong but not too overwhelming imo). Work well un-amped, isolation is great (bested my expectations for airplane flights) and has minimal leakage. I can't compare them to much but I have to say they're of great value

Looking at your budget: I found them on eBay for $180 new, but $230 seems about average

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 39
The Ultrasones seem to get praise for bass (quantity), coming from er4 and MS1 I value air and transparancy rather than focus on the bottom octaves. I might enjoy the Ultrasones though, difficult to say without listening. Anyhow, I can't find the HFI-780 for anything less than ~$250 included shipping, on ebay.

I actually found the K601 locally at the equivalent of about $300 included shipping. That would be the same as buying cans for ~$220 on ebay as I wont pay VAT+fee, so it's a decent deal.

So unless someone strongly advice me to spring for the DT880, save a few $ and get the SRH840, or what ever, then I might just go for the K601. Provided they leak a bit less than the Grados of course. Anyone care to comment on that?

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 39
I didn't care too much for the DT770, so I'm thinking heavy bass quantity is not for me. Of course I appreciate it to be extended and thight/controlled. This makes me wonder if the Ultrasones are not for me.

Still looking for comments on the leakage for K601 and K701. From what I've read it doesn't look promising, people say they're leaking like full size speakers and so on. But if they leak a bit less than my MS1 it might be okay. People around me are using portapros etc, and the leakage from them is acceptable.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 39
All open phones leak about the same, so your MS1 is as good an indication of this as any. And any differences are likely down to how loud they're played. None leak like full size speakers.

I went with the DT250/80ohm for a closed phone to compliment my MS1. Imagine a closed 531 - that's how they sound to me, after giving the 531s a listen.

Zero fatigue, neutral sound and easy to drive. Rock rocks IMO.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 39
Everything I've read is that the k701/2 is not great for rock which is my main focus. But I am very interested in the k601 - they just seem to be right up my alley.

Also, everthing I've read about Ultrasone's is that they are somewhat sibilant, which is a non-starter for me.

Have you thought about the Denon AD2000?

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 39
I have the impression the portapro is leaking a lot less than the MS1, but I might be mistaken. It's just not fun listening to those portapros, so they're keeping the volume down I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I guess I should just forget about open cans, I've already got a decent set. Sucks though, because the K601 bought locally was a decent deal... I might just look into the DT250/80. I have used a brand new set for a couple of days, getting 30-40 hours on them and decided they were too close to my slightly modded DT231. I was planning to use them for portable back then. Perhapes they deserve another try and a bit more patience.

I've considered the D2000, but they are quite pricey outside the US. And from what I read, they might be a bit too bass heavy. Not sure though, I'll read a bit more on them.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 39
I can only recommend K701 for certain types of rock from my own experience with them. Stuff like acoustic rock sounds excellent but for hard grunge/alternative/punk rock stuff don't really do that well. And due to their laid back overall SQ, you may end up turning up the volume for them a lot to bring out the mids which is going to result in tons of leakage... definitely no better than Grados in that regard.

Maybe you could look into AKG K240 Sextetts, which is typically dubbed "Grado'ed AKG". And from my knowledge they're only semi-open, so the leakage shouldn't be as bad as Grados. But being 600 ohms (IIRC), you would need a decent amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back