Closed cans under $150 to use with a FiiO amp on iPod
Jun 24, 2010 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

xyphe

New Head-Fier
I'd like to step into the audiophile world and I need your help. I'm planning to buy a pair of closed cans and a tiny amp (FiiO seems to be the best in this field, correct me if I'm wrong). I'm a student so if I'm not pleased with my portable setup, I'll have to wait a long time before I can change it to suit my needs (financial limitations). Your suggestions are crucial to me.

Starting with the amp, I've read that iPods provide a better signal when used with a LOD cable. Assuming this is true, FiiO's E1 model looks like the best option because the amp itself is a LOD cable and improves SQ. Do you agree on this? How would it compare to other models, E3 or E5 for example? Actually, are there any other brands of pocket size amps that are better than FiiO and as affordable?

Secondly, my preference of closed cans. I listen to a very broad range of music, literally everything besides classical and metal. I love hearing a lot of bass but it's crucial that it doesn't overshadow mids and highs. To put it in another way, when I'm using my future headphones, I want to think about how beautiful Ella Fitzgerald's voice is and how deep Excision's bass effects are. They must be comfortable enough to wear for hours and portable enough to be able to walk around with them. Lastly, I strongly prefer that they have little to no sound leak. Isolation must be good both ways, in and out. Keep in mind that this pair will be used with one of the pocket amp models that you will hopefully guide me to.

Please help me make the right choices. I did read a lot of information on head-fi before posting this. Based on all the answers that I've read on threads that are similar to mine, what I'm kindly asking you to do is, whatever suggestion you have for me, please try to compare it with one of the suggestions that were listed before you. When this thread ends, I don't want to be left with several models that were repeated several times and scratch my head while taking a guess on what to buy.

To start this off, I'm going to write down the model that I've came across the most on my search. The much praised M50.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 19
Ok I'll throw this out as an option since I own both.  You might look at the dbi pro 700 ($40 on ebay).  Built like a tank, fun signature, good bass, better mids than m50 but probably a little less detailed treble.  M50 is more comfortable, at least with srh840 pads, but I think the dbi is ok and apparently the jmoney leather earpads will fit it.  Both work ok without an amp so they should also work fine with whatever fiio.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 19
How much sound do the M50s leak? I a recent comparison test the AKG K271 MkIIs leaked the least amount of sound in a group that did not include the M50s. But they are rather large to be considered portable.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 19
ATH M50s are much praised for good reason. They are easy to drive, and once they are burnt in / broken in, they are very comfortable and sound great. I want to say they are a sure thing, but that would be biased since I don't have anything better to compare with.

Welcome to the forums.

Edit: There is very little sound leakage from the m50s. I use them all day in a tight cubicle environment and have never even gotten a comment about them. People assume I use them for noise cancellation since they don't hear any music coming from them.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 19
They are certainly flavour of the month.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 19
Shoot for the Denon 1001 or the Creative Aurvana Live! (CAL!), which are basically the same thing, but the CAL! can be found for ~$60.  Also, I'd get at least a FiiO E5.  In my opinion, the ATH-M50s lack bass and aren't portable at all, with their ~2.5m cord, and they're kinda bulky for portable use.
This (180g, 1.5m cable):

as opposed to this (284g):

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 19

[size=medium]
You are right shake, cable length always made me a little uncomfortable about the M50 and I don't want the coiled one to go under my shirt, haha. What can you say about the mids and highs of Denon 1001?
[/size]

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 19
I found the mids and highs to be nice and clear and dynamic, but the bass was too muddy. They also leak more sound than you would expect from closed cans. 

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Ok I'll throw this out as an option since I own both.  You might look at the dbi pro 700 ($40 on ebay).  Built like a tank, fun signature, good bass, better mids than m50 but probably a little less detailed treble.  M50 is more comfortable, at least with srh840 pads, but I think the dbi is ok and apparently the jmoney leather earpads will fit it.  Both work ok without an amp so they should also work fine with whatever fiio.

The dbi's sound great with an amp as well, though I'm not sure the Fiio would do them justice. I'd hold off on the Fiio if I were you, spend $40 on the dbi's, and save the rest for a better amp. The only amp I've tried them with is the Alo RX, and that sounds like it is out of your price range right now. However, they don't seem too hard to drive, and something like an Ibasso T3 might even be adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back