Closed Cans...looking for your opinions.
Feb 12, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jconly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading about the Ultrasones and made it about 10 pages in the thread. I'm getting more and more tempted. Althoug, I do till have a concern... I've been falling in love with the sound of a more pronounced trebel. I can't help but wonder if they may just have too deep of a bass for me.

Good news, j. In addition to having some of the slamminest bass I've heard, the PROlines also have incredible detail resolution. But the key to it all is that the balance between the two frequency extremes is natural and correct. So these are not bass-head cans by any means.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more suggestion. The Sennheiser HD25-1. If you buy used, you should be able to find one well under $150. They are closed, highly portable, and are easily driven (considering your sources are iPod and PC). It's not the last word in isolation but they seal surprisingly decently. They're good enough and comfortable for home use yet they are small enough to make it a legitimate option on the go (if you decide to in NYC). As a bonus they are easily moddable. You can go for velour pads and the cable can be upgraded with any of the Senn 580/600/650 cables.

Good suggestion. The HD25-1's sound very good. But I don't find them comfortable enough to wear all day - that should be considered depending on how you use them. But they are the best portable closed can I have ever had.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #18 of 22
First of all, thanks so much you guys.

I've done some reading of reviews.
The K81DJ's and the DT770's don't seem to be too appealing from what I've read. Seems like too much bass. I like bass, but don't want to be over powered by it. I want to know it's there, but be able to focus on those fingers sliding over the guitaur strings.

The V6, price wise, seems like a decent option, except I think I might want to make a jump a little higher up the ladder. I've been falling in love with my monitors as of recent, and I don't think I would be content without something that is at least on the same level of quality as they are.

DT250/80...ehhh. A900 seems interesting from what I've read so far. I've yet to stumble across a review for the K271S. Also, I've yet to stumble into one for the Senn HD25-1 as well. More searching.

How about the Ultrasone HFI-650? I've read good things, and it seems people are loving Ultrasone in general. So far it seems like I'm considering the AT A900, HFI-650, the V6, and ehhh, the Proline 750. I'm a newbie sucker who's amazed by that type of thing I guess.

Although perhaps we should talk portability and amps.
Let me describe my level of portability requirement, as they will be used in a few situations.
Firstly, in bed or at my desk at home. No biggie. They will also be used in the imaging lab at school. Just deskwork drumscanning negativfes and Photoshop work. More sitting. The only movement they will see at "work" is when I'm in the darkroom. There I will be going from enlarger to processor and back and forth. It's walking, but just short walks.
Of course, there is the trip to and from school in my bookbag.
I will probably need something that folds, which also crosses out the DT250.

And amps...amps I know nothing of. I realize with some cans its pretty much required. I understand that, but know nothing of pairing an amp+source+can.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #19 of 22
My suggestion is to buy used on the F/S forums. That way, if you don't like what you got, just resell it and try a different one.

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jconly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Ultrasone HFI-650? I've read good things, and it seems people are loving Ultrasone in general.

Well, I also have a pair of HFI-650. I use them exclusively in my portable rig and they are very nice indeed, but nowhere near as detailed and transparent in the high end as the PROline 750. Another problem as far as concerns you is that they are no longer available in the States.

That said, I'm looking to upgrade them to the PROline 650, which have a little more detail and better presentation than the HFI-650, but still somewhat smoother though less resolving than the PROline 750. The PROline 650 should be readily available in the States and a decent price might be found from Northern Sound & Light (you have to e-mail them for their lowest price). There are also two currently on eBay, HERE and HERE.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #21 of 22
I read one review that was really long and in pdf format where the reviewer thought the HD25-1 were the best for portability. IIRC they were the only one that the reviewer felt hung over the neck with ease, or something like that. But, I'm not sure you can do better than IEMs for portability, especially if you're going to be wearing your equipment and moving around. Every time I try to do that with something that isn't an IEM I end up getting the big cord hung up on something ... but I am clumsy.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #22 of 22
You know, used doesn't seem like a bad idea, although, I've no idea how a headphone "ages."

On to the IEM thing.
I'll admit, at times I love their level of isolation, and just how portable they are...but:
After spending all day yesterday in the darkroom, as well as previous journies in whilst wearing the IEMs, I've come to a conclusion.
It just doesn't suit the situation very well. The isolation is far to great. I need to be able to hear a little more ambient. The louder things, like if the RA-4 processor is running properly or not, or if something falls off the counter in the darkroom. The beep of the enlarger timer. I've come to realize a headphone doesn't suit me well in this situation.

I think the majority of the time, my headphone use is going to envolve stationary work. At a desk, in my bed, on a couch, in the digital lab.
Of course, they might see some action in the studio....hmmm.
Just remembered the studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back