Closed Cans...looking for your opinions.
Feb 10, 2007 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jconly

Head-Fier
Hey all,
First, I should say how helpful this site has been so far. You guys are great.

I'm currently in search of a pair of phones that can quiet my surroundings. I'm the type of person that needs quiet / music to focus on my work, and they will be mainly used for just that. I love music and appreciate good quality (or at least what I know good quality to be), but don't really forsee portability being a huge requirement. I will be living in NYC this summer, so the train rides might change that....but I've always enjoyed observing my environment.

Regardless, I have recently been trying out a pair of Shure EC3's. The isolation is incredible, but the comfort is so-so. I don't know if it's just the EC3's, or IEM's in general, but they just aren't comfortable for prolonged used. They're the type of thing I could use for the length of a train ride, but that's about it. At first they weren't bad at all, and I managed to fall asleep wearing them. After about a week, that's changed. I'm pretty sure I'm looking for an actual set of cans, unless you guys for whatever reason advise otherwise.

But on to the issue of money and quality. First off, I'm not looking to spend anywhere above $300, but that is still kind of high. I'm a college student, with a ton of debt already, about to enter a profession where I'm not going to make a damn thing. Quality: I've heard that the quality of closed cans cannot even compare to that of open. I currently do the majority of my listening on a set of M-Audio BX-5's. I've enjoyed the sound of the EC3's, and I tried a pair of Senn HD280's. The Senn's just didn't sound as good.

Although I had the initial idea of investing in a pair of UE 5's, I'm beginning to think differently. I'm thinking perhaps I should with the 280's now, and then in the future, if I have the money and desire, invest in a higher quality option.

But...I still doubt the Senns. Quality is important to me, but I'm looking to make a sensible financial decision. So, what do you think I should do? The UE's, the 280's, or something entirely different?

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 22
Well if you wait a month, there is a meet in NY that I'm sure you could goto. *hint hint*
wink.gif

Did you try using different tips with the EC3's? So far I've found that I can only use 2 tips with my UM1's.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 22
Well,
It would certainly be nice, but there's just no way I could make it. Have too much going on right now with school/work/bodily injury and potential surgery (grrr).

About the tips, to be honest I've only tried two pair. The smallest size, and the size up. The size up, I couldn't even get into my ear at first, so I've stuck with the tiniest size. Maybe I should play around more, as the tiny size seems to have gotten a little looser. Perhaps my ear grew this past week.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 22
You know, I should also probabliy mention my soure / music type.

These will be powered by either an iPod or computer.
I listen to a wide range of music, from the classic of classic rock, to the more modern 80's classic rock. I also listen to a lot of more jammy type music, from the Greatful Dead to Dave Matthews. Can't forget Jack Johnson type mustic. I enjoy ambient electronic, uptempo smooth jazz, classical guitaur. Basically, I am an all around type of listener.

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 22
Thank you greatly for the suggestion.
I will look into them this evening.

My debate at this point, when considering a $300ish pair of closed phones:
Is it worth it to invest that amount of money on a pair of closed phones, offering less quality per $ then that of open? I should also mention that I have no headphone amp, and have not even begun to think about the implications of such.

Feb 11, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 22
Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
I've been reading about the Ultrasones and made it about 10 pages in the thread. I'm getting more and more tempted. Althoug, I do till have a concern... I've been falling in love with the sound of a more pronounced trebel. I can't help but wonder if they may just have too deep of a bass for me.

Feb 11, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 22
I've heard very good things about the Audio-Technica closed ATH-A900. In fact, I just bought a pair of the A900LTD on Head-Fi and can't wait to hear them. They will be my first, closed phones ever. I, like you, need music to help me function at work. I've also heard good things about the Ultrasone closed headphones, especially the 650 and 750, but personally have no experience with their sound. I'm really leaning strongly toward the Japanese headphones, which seem to strive for clarity, detail and balance in their sound. It depends on your listening preferences, too.

Feb 11, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 22
I'm looking for closed cans myself. My short list is the Senn HD 280, Beyer DT250-250, and AKG K 271 S. I'm shying away from IEMs for now just because I'd like to experiment with cans for a bit. Anyway, have you considered an amp? With a $300 budget you might be able to get a decent combo that will last until you build up more cash.

Feb 11, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 22
If you're only willing to spend no more than $100, I can only recommend the K81DJ and the Sony MDR-V6. They are both fun sounding phones but by no means "audiophile." If you get those I really wouldn't worry about sound quality - I'd just enjoy the music. However, if you spend a little more, around $200, closed cans get much better. You've got the DT770, DT250, the A900, and the K271S to choose from, all which sound very good. However, these phones will still sound "alright" compared to open phones that are half the price. If you move up to $300, options start getting very pretty (and very expensive). The first thing to consider would obviously be the stock Darth Beyer, which can be had from Headphile for about $345. The Proline 750 is another well respected headphone here.

Those are your choices in terms of non-IEM closed phones. Good luck.

Feb 11, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 22
One more suggestion. The Sennheiser HD25-1. If you buy used, you should be able to find one well under $150. They are closed, highly portable, and are easily driven (considering your sources are iPod and PC). It's not the last word in isolation but they seal surprisingly decently. They're good enough and comfortable for home use yet they are small enough to make it a legitimate option on the go (if you decide to in NYC). As a bonus they are easily moddable. You can go for velour pads and the cable can be upgraded with any of the Senn 580/600/650 cables.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 22
It sounds like IEM's are probably going to be your best choice. Have you tried using foam eartips? I find those much more comfortable than the rubber flanges.

If you want circumaural, my vote goes for either the Audio Technica A900 or W1000 (if you're lucky you can get it <$300 used). The DT770's were just a little too much bass for me.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 22
If portability isn't important, audio-technica A900 is very very hard beat in it's price range by closed or open headphones. Especially if you're running unamped.

But if you need to go places the Sony V6 is a great choice, excellent value for your money. They're extremely analytical though, you might be after a easier audiophile type sound... in that case I guess the Senn HD280 would do.

IMO you should stay away from IEMs unless you need isolation. Their price/performance ratio is atrocious compared to everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back