Closed cans for Grado enjoyer (+sub bass)
Jun 6, 2014 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

yusufbeyazpinar

New Head-Fier
Hello dear music lover friends.
I have always liked hearing my music the best way it can sound. I have a good hi-fi system at home, and been trying different headphones for some time.
I currently or previously owned:
Grado SR80i
Audio-Technica AD900
Audio-Technica M50
V-Moda M80
Sennheiser Momentum (on-ear)
Sennheiser px200 ii (used during doing sports)

Although i had more expensive headphones, Grados are the ones i enjoy most. I didn't think M50 had anything special, couldn't really enjoyed it. Or V-Moda M80... Momentums were too boring for my liking, didn't have character. I am also planning to buy higher model Grados soon.
But, right now i need HPs to use during flights, walking my dog, and similar outdoor stuff that doesn't involve too much physical activity. (I'm using px200 while doing sports)
But, in addition to Grado-similar-sound, this time i would like to have HPs that can go lower frequencies, and also more bass in amount. I think closed-back HP's will do my job better. I have a budget of around 300$.
What would you be your recommendations? Used or new, anything around 300$ would be fine...

Thanks in advance...
Yusuf

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 16
The Sennheiser HD25 II (Or Amperior) is an option. It has a fast, exciting, aggressive, detailed sound, with more bass than a Grado.

The clamp is quite tight, however.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 16

Are they that different from Momentums?

Yes, they're very different!

They don't really have the standard Sennheiser 'house sound' (i.e. laid back, warm, rolled-off highs) Compared with the Momentum, they have much more detailed highs and a much faster, punchier bass.

The only downsides for me were the comfort (presses tightly on the ears) and the soundstage, which is very narrow.

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 16
Yes, they're very different!

They don't really have the standard Sennheiser 'house sound' (i.e. laid back, warm, rolled-off highs) Compared with the Momentum, they have much more detailed highs and a much faster, punchier bass.

The only downsides for me were the comfort (presses tightly on the ears) and the soundstage, which is very narrow.

They sound good. I'm not much fan of the design but the sound seems promising. I definitely added these to the top of my list. Thanks a lot Sinnottj :)

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 16
Many of us have pursued the unicorn of Grado like sound from a closed can. If you find one, let the rest of us know
smily_headphones1.gif

So, it is not possible i suppose :)
I will give up looking for Grado sound from closed cans and just try to find the most "fun" sounding closed HPs.
What about these HPs?
Amperior (or HD25 ii)
Nad HP50
Denon D2000
Ultrasone Pro 900 (or maybe some other Ultrasone model)
Beyer Custom One Pro (or 770 or dt1350 maybe)
KEF M500
Mad Dogs
or anything else anyone would recommend...

Which would be;
Giving the best low frequincies? (quality not quantity)
Fun to listen to?
More portable?

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 16
The Mikros is really a neutral headphones, though the treble and midrange are boosted.

I heard it as colored / bright with rolled off bass--like Grados. (Maybe we're hearing it the same and only describing it in very different ways.)

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 16
Denon D2000

Which would be;
Giving the best low frequincies? (quality not quantity)
Fun to listen to?
More portable?

Aside from the Amperior, the only other headphone on your list I've owned are the D2000s.

They sound nothing like Grados, but are a fantastic and very fun sounding headphone in their own right. Much more 'V' shaped sound than Grados, i.e. emphasised bass and treble. The bass is amazing, best sub-bass I've heard.

Not portable in any way though - large, heavy and the cable is very long and not very flexible. Also not really a closed headphone, as they leake a lot of sound in/out. I'd describe them as 'semi-closed'.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 16
I heard it as colored / bright with rolled off bass--like Grados. (Maybe we're hearing it the same and only describing it in very different ways.)

It is colored, but not nearly as much as a Grado.  The bass doesn't roll off quickly.  Honestly, I don't think any closed can sounds like a Grado (or open can... except Grados), howver, the Mikros is a remarkable headphone.  The Mikros sounds like a Grado'd MDR MA900 if that makes any sense.  

The ES FC300 imo is what you're looking for.  One of the best closed cans I've heard.

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 16
It is colored, but not nearly as much as a Grado.  The bass doesn't roll off quickly.  Honestly, I don't think any closed can sounds like a Grado (or open can... except Grados), howver, the Mikros is a remarkable headphone.

I agree with you about both points. The tilt of the coloration is the same, however. So I find it favors the same genres and subgenres as Grados (rock, metal, vocals, and organ) and are similarly too colored for same ones Grados have trouble with (spoken voice, piano, and orchestra). If I listened to pop and rock, I'd have kept it even though it's not versatile because it's heavenly with that.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #15 of 16
The ThinkSound On1, while not very well marketed or pubicised, is
a terrific headphone IMO whose sound somewhat approaches a Grado.

(and I'm a big Grado fan)

I think the wooden earcups help, but I'm not sure.
I'm just really impressed by their sound.

http://www.thinksound.com/index.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back