Closed cans, $400
Mar 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've found myself with upgradtitis yet again, not to my surprise; this time it's for my portables. I currently have the ATH-A700. They do a very satisfying job, but as you can imagine, AT's Air series is hardly low-profile, and hence I look like an giant tool walking around with them in public.
atsmile.gif
I used the 780 for a short period, but then decided that they were essentially over-hyped and ended up hating them-- Definitely a FOTM can.

So anyway, this is basically what I'm looking for: Warm, deep, solid bass, however not overbearing to the rest of the spectrum. The mids should be creamy, forward, and robust, especially for vocals, and the treble should be sparkly, detailed, and airy. Preferably, there should be a plenty of "crunch", along with a decent soundstage... But the most important characteristics of all, however, are timbre, speed, detail! Something like a closed SA5k, or at least the next best thing, if at all possible.

My music preferences include: Rammstein, Coldplay, Marc Antoine, Alessandro Carbonare, Gogol Bordello, Leningrad, Queen, The Beatles, classical, Spanish guitar, Bossa Nova, Jazz (especially Latin and swing), alternative, oldies, soft rock, Polka, Eastern European folk/rock, and a smattering of cheesy pop (unfortunately a guilty pleasure).

Thank you for your help!

Sum it up you want prominent bass, midrange AND treble... Let me think of Queens I want it all
smily_headphones1.gif

Doubt the headphone you describe exist. Particularly this warm and lush but with sparkly treble and with somehow forward mids?

Everything should be forward and a proper soundstage?

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sum it up you want prominent bass, midrange AND treble... Let me think of Queens I want it all
smily_headphones1.gif

Doubt the headphone you describe exist. Particularly this warm and lush but with sparkly treble and with somehow forward mids?

Everything should be forward and a proper soundstage?

Yeah, I see your point. I'm idealistic.
redface.gif

I think Grados come really close to doing it right, sans the airy part and wide soundstage. I also really like my AT's.

You know, the R10 did the trick! Maybe I'll just buy some of those as my portables. Makes sense, doesn't it?
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Shure SRH840 - I think it matches a lot of the criteria you laid out, except that the soundstage isn't outstanding (but not terrible either).

X2. Definitely check them out.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. Definitely check them out.

But they answer almost none of the OP creteria and i can tell from my exprience with them, IMO, they are as far from SA5000 sound as you can name, The only similiar aspect i can think about is the relativley neutral tonal balance, though one is warmer and one colder. Now the closest Closed phones to SA5000 would be the W5000, And not just becuse they are similiarly named of course.
wink.gif
But they're out of your budget ATM an so irrelevent. Next best thing IMO are Ultrasone Pro900, Modded with Kees mod or Dynamat they are truly awsome. Higly detailed, Hyper-fast attack and as i said, pretty good tonal balance, once modded. Though i feel they're not as refined as SA5000 in timbre accuracy, they still have a great texture to them, The mids are not at all hollow as you mention with 780's, Just not as "creamy" as with other cans like i heard. OTOH neither are SA5000's...

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But they answer almost none of the OP creteria and i can tell from my exprience with them, IMO, they are as far from SA5000 sound as you can name, The only similiar aspect i can think about is the relativley neutral tonal balance, though one is warmer and one colder. Now the closest Closed phones to SA5000 would be the W5000, And not just becuse they are similiarly named of course.
wink.gif
But they're out of your budget ATM an so irrelevent. Next best thing IMO are Ultrasone Pro900, Modded with Kees mod or Dynamat they are truly awsome. Higly detailed, Hyper-fast attack and as i said, pretty good tonal balance, once modded. Though i feel they're not as refined as SA5000 in timbre accuracy, they still have a great texture to them, The mids are not at all hollow as you mention with 780's, Just not as "creamy" as with other cans like i heard. OTOH neither are SA5000's...

The Pro900 sounds a lot more like it!
icon10.gif

What exactly is the Dynamat mod? I can't find any info on it for some reason.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So anyway, this is basically what I'm looking for: Warm, deep, solid bass, however not overbearing to the rest of the spectrum. The mids should be creamy, forward, and robust, especially for vocals, and the treble should be sparkly, detailed, and airy. Preferably, there should be a plenty of "crunch", along with a decent soundstage...

I also think SRH840 fit most of these criteria. They are deep, have great mids and do sparkle to my ears. They are also crunch (violins attack, electric guitars and drums are more like a small live venue than any other of my headphones). In terms of soundstage they are not the best. Denon D5000 (and from what i've read D2000) do have good soundstage, but less of everything else except bass and sparkle.
ph34r.gif
And they leak rather badly.

p.s. your avatar freaks me out
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back