Closed Cans $100-$300
Feb 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #16 of 54
You would NEVER want to use A900's in a transit. I think people underestimate how gigantic these things are when they talk about using them in transit. Forget for a second how ridiculous you would look. Just think about how many times they'd bump against things. Also, their floating design, while great for stationary listening, tends to make them move around a bit if you're moving, which creates extraneous noise (called microphonics).

SO I mean, if you think you'd like the A900, get it. However,do it realizing that you'll probably still be using your portapros for your mobile listening.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifestream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a fan of IEMs. I'm not an isolation nazi, Im currently using PX100s and they do just fine, I just need more isolation, not maximum isolation.

Also like I said earlier, I'm a student and I'm not really interested in paying for more than one set of headphones

If that's the case I'll point you in the direction of the DT150. I think many will agree that it's one of the best studio monitors you can get at its price range.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's the case I'll point you in the direction of the DT150. I think many will agree that it's one of the best studio monitors you can get at its price range.

Not really, but for the PX100 frequency response, it'll probably be a better match than most. Watch the higher impedance which makes on the go, not so good.

I would consider the M-Audio Q40 or ATH-M50. The Q40 would likely be more pleasing in terms of frequency response for the OPs PX100. It's way less rolled off than the PX100 only slightly so. It's cheaper than the DT150 which has an unusual coloration, which I believe is partly due to the pleather pads. The DT150 is also very large and not foldable. The Q40 and the M50 both fold, which make it a better on the go headphone. The M50 has a sturdier build, but the sonics are different, AT like (clear, a bit forward). From the sonics perspective, coming from the PX100, I would favor the Q40 more.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

I've heard a real love/hate relationship with Denon. On one hand they're considered high end and quite comfortable, on the other the sound quality or build quality isn't always there...

Also I like almost all types of music, but I'm partial to 60s-70s rock and acoustic.

Thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

The Denons do not isolate any better than open phones, which defeats the purpose of being closed! (Nice sound, though.)

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really, but for the PX100 frequency response, it'll probably be a better match than most. Watch the higher impedance which makes on the go, not so good.

I would consider the M-Audio Q40 or ATH-M50. The Q40 would likely be more pleasing in terms of frequency response for the OPs PX100. It's way less rolled off than the PX100 only slightly so. It's cheaper than the DT150 which has an unusual coloration, which I believe is partly due to the pleather pads. The DT150 is also very large and not foldable. The Q40 and the M50 both fold, which make it a better on the go headphone. The M50 has a sturdier build, but the sonics are different, AT like (clear, a bit forward). From the sonics perspective, coming from the PX100, I would favor the Q40 more.

From doing some reading the M-Audios look pretty good. I do like my PX100s, I find them very good, however this is in comparison to models under $100. I've tried SR60s and didn't like them, they felt sterile, but with a bit more clarity. Also I absolutely hated Bose QC3, simply muddy and flat.

How do Q40s rate to AKG K271?

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

I've tried SR60s and didn't like them, they felt sterile, but with a bit more clarity.

Were the Grados you tried out fully burnt in or new?

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were the Grados you tried out fully burnt in or new?

Burnt in, it was a friend's pair.

I felt the PX100 phones were more pleasing to listen to, the soundstage felt a bit too open and far away. I'll give higher end Grados a shot later on, but not just yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Burnt in, it was a friend's pair.

I felt the PX100 phones were more pleasing to listen to, the soundstage felt a bit too open and far away. I'll give higher end Grados a shot later on, but not just yet
smily_headphones1.gif

you felt like SR60s were "further away" than PX100's? I had the exact opposite reaction, and it wasn't even close in my mind. Also, most people describe SR60s as having an overly tight soundstage. But I guess trust your ears.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

How do Q40s rate to AKG K271?

You'll get different opinions. Mine is that I like the Q40 better because of the fuller sound and good bass extension and weight. The K271 is great for midrange, and I like it for vocals particularly sopranos. However, it has a lower mid recession which takes away the weight of many sounds. The Q40 doesn't have that problem. The Q40 has a slightly boosted upper end, but rolls off after that.

There's a M-Audio Q40 thread where you can get most of the opinions from people who bought them.

I can't recall if there is one for the ATH-M50, though. My opinions on both are scattered around, but in the Q40 thread as well.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #25 of 54
Feb 17, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #27 of 54
^ I don't think you'll ever get a consensus. There will be a bunch of opinions and you'll have to pick what you feel is relevant to you.

I've not experienced the cable problem yet, but others have. I use mine every day, but it's at a stationary position and not on the move.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the price range of $300...

You can start take in consideration the Ultrasone HFI and PRO series. they are closed cans that sounds like an open cans...Highly recommended.

Some of the models go pretty cheap on ebay. PRO 650s are about $250 shipped. HFI580s can go for $220.

Any impressions on the sound vs. Q80?

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #30 of 54
esw9? it's in the upper part of the price range though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back