Closed can to complement ms-1s
Oct 6, 2007 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fuild

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm currently using the MS-1s but I would like to get another pair of closed headphones. I would say that I'm satisfied with what I'm getting out of the MS-1s but I'm curious about what else the rest of the cans have to offer. They would also have to isolate decently because I might use them as semi portable cans, probably not for commuting since I already have a pair of E3Cs.

My source for now would be my ipod and a tomahawk amp. I also have a cd-player and an integrated amp with a headphone out but in the future I'd like to use my PC as my main source. Oh, and i listen to mostly rock, metal and a little jazz. My budget would be around $150.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 14
It's a tricky road we find ourselves travelling. Unfortunately the Grado/Allesandro magic does not well lend itself to being closed-up, which I believe is one of the reasons no closed cans seem to 'do' the Grado sound.

So far I can tell you that for me the AKG K81DJ didn't do it nor does the AT AH900. Next in my sights, and possibly a good solution for you, are the Equation Audio RP-21 and the Denon D2000.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. Thanks for replying. I guess the D2000 would be out of my budget but the RP-21 might do. What about ES-7? Any opinions on that?

I had a ES7 briefly and sold it off promptly. They didn't isolate and were not very comfortable. Have you looked into the Senn HD25-1 II ? Comfort wise they're about the same as the ES7s but the hd25s are much more sturdy, sound better and isolate very well.

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 14
I had MS-1's and RP-21's. I had to sell the RP-21's since I needed a very portable headphone and got IEM's. Anyways, I felt the RP-21's were similar to the MS-1's in presentation. Better separation, better soundstage, but quite a bit heavier bass. Overall, I really liked them paired with my MS-1's.

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 14
The only closed set of fons I found satisfying were the AKG K271. They are not exactly what you would call portable though.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 14
Ihave The ES7's and have never regretted buying them. As far as uncomfortable you already own a pair (MS1's) that are quite often criticized for their discomfort by some users yet praised by others. If you are not bothered by your MS1's you should be fine with ES7's. At first mine were a little uncomfortable, but after a little while I didn't notice them at all. I were mine on a average of 5 to 7 hours a day. As far as isolation and leakage is concerned I were mine in my cubicle which is a very open style cubicle and have not recieved any complaints from coworkers or am I distracted by them while listening. After burnin these are amazing cans but this is my opinion and you know what they say a bout opinions

Oct 8, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ihave The ES7's and have never regretted buying them. As far as uncomfortable you already own a pair (MS1's) that are quite often criticized for their discomfort by some users yet praised by others. If you are not bothered by your MS1's you should be fine with ES7's. At first mine were a little uncomfortable, but after a little while I didn't notice them at all. I were mine on a average of 5 to 7 hours a day. As far as isolation and leakage is concerned I were mine in my cubicle which is a very open style cubicle and have not recieved any complaints from coworkers or am I distracted by them while listening. After burnin these are amazing cans but this is my opinion and you know what they say a bout opinions

I see. Yeah, the MS-1s were pretty uncomfortable at first but I guessed I pulled through. Right now, I'm considering HD-25s or RP-21s. I might just pay a little more for the senns.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beyer dt770
i can rock with those as much as a grado

Oh I've tried those before but I just look silly wearing them because they're way too big for my head.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back