Closed back wireless headphones that aren't Sonys or Boses. Trouble finding a wireless M40x upgrade.
Dec 2, 2021 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

raymanh

100+ Head-Fier
I'm having a hard time trying to find a wireless upgrade from my $99 M40X. I've been out to some stores and tried most mainstream consumer offerings (Sonys and Boses) and none of them sounded anywhere near as good as my M40X. I was really surprised about how bad the Sony XM4 sounded. It was like listening through mud.

There's gotta be something out there that's wireless and better or at least equivalent to the M40X. I just need wireless and the ability to be used wired too, don't care about other features like ANC.

So far I've found the following:

B&W P7 wireless. Lots of people have touted this as being one of the best wireless headphones ever. The newer B&W models are apparently not as good. However, hard to find now.

Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3. Apparently very V shaped and mids get lost, although the Momentum 2.0 looks a little flatter.

Drop THX Panda. Seems like comfort is a big problem here (thin headband, high clamping force, and heavy.

AKG 361 BT. I've read it's like a QC lottery. Otherwise decent sound quality and good value.

Airpods Max. I don't want to bother with getting a lightning connector and the fact I can use a cable with a built in mic means this is a no go for me.

Perhaps some of you have some suggestions.

Thanks.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 17
Amiron copper? I havent heard them, but I liked the open back amiron home.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 17
Amiron copper? I havent heard them, but I liked the open back amiron home.

Thanks for the suggestion but the amiron range is a bit too pricey for me. I'm looking at $300 max.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 17
I've got my FiiO BTR-5 Bluetooth module modded onto my M40X's. Turns them into a pretty good pair of BT cans. Best of both worlds.

I've been thinking that that might be the best way, a Bluetooth module plugged in. How did you attach it? The BTR-5 looks quite big.

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 17
Shure aonic 50 is a really solid choice, especially considering the recent price drops.

The sound signature is much more balanced compared to the other mainstream alternatives.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 17
I own a pair of M50X BT and am not that impressed, 8/10 I will use my Air Pods pro over these.
And that is my recommendation for your price point: Aipods pro.
The sound is quite pleasing and the passthrough mode is fantastic.

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 17
@sl418 I'm looking for wireless headphones

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 17
Shure SRH840 and AKG K371 seem to get good reviews here and are about $150.

Yes, the AKG K371-BT has been on my short list for a while as an ATH-M50xBT replacement. Of course now there is an ATH-M50xBT2...

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 17
I've been thinking that that might be the best way, a Bluetooth module plugged in. How did you attach it? The BTR-5 looks quite big.
I've simply got it velcro'd to the left earcup.

You can google modding the m40x for Bluetooth. You have to remove the locking mechanism in the 2.5 mm jack and insert a small adapter with a 2.5 mm plug on one end and a 3.5 mm female jack on the other. It's super easy to do and amazon sells the part. I'll find the links on my desktop PC and post.

The FiiO sticks well to the left cup although it looks pretty goofy. But when you're listening in LDAC mode thru your m40x to your phone or DAP, who cares? Plus the BTR-5 can be used in other non-bluetooth configs as a DAC/amp or turn any other wired can into a BT when plugged into the FiiO's 3.5mm or 2.5mm ouput.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #14 of 17
--Here's how to mod the M40X so you can insert a standard 3.5mm cable:

--Here's a link for the cable adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Josi-Minea-C...i+Minea&qid=1638630436&sr=8-1#customerReviews

--Link for a short 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable (others would work too):

https://www.amazon.com/Seadream-2Pa...4&sprefix=short+3.5mm+to+3.5mm,aps,227&sr=8-3

--Scotch Fasteners:
(I try to put the fuzzy/non-hook & loop side onto the BTR-5 and the hook & loop part onto the earcup. That way, if I move the BTR-5 around in other scenarios it can be held in the hand without the irritation of the hook & loop rubbing against you).

https://www.staples.com/Scotch-Extreme-Strip-Fasteners-Black-2-5-cm-x-3-04-m-RF6761/product_2126012

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The mod is pretty simple: You're just sticking your Bluetooth adapter--FiiO BTR-5 works, so does MPOW BH298A and others--on the earcup and connecting it into the M40X's modded (for 3.5mm insertion) jack. Once it's connected up, you will get the hang of being able to forward tracks, volume control, etc., using your left hand and it turns pretty much into a Bluetooth headphone.

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #15 of 17
I'm having a hard time trying to find a wireless upgrade from my $99 M40X. I've been out to some stores and tried most mainstream consumer offerings (Sonys and Boses) and none of them sounded anywhere near as good as my M40X. I was really surprised about how bad the Sony XM4 sounded. It was like listening through mud.

There's gotta be something out there that's wireless and better or at least equivalent to the M40X. I just need wireless and the ability to be used wired too, don't care about other features like ANC.

So far I've found the following:

B&W P7 wireless. Lots of people have touted this as being one of the best wireless headphones ever. The newer B&W models are apparently not as good. However, hard to find now.

Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3. Apparently very V shaped and mids get lost, although the Momentum 2.0 looks a little flatter.

Drop THX Panda. Seems like comfort is a big problem here (thin headband, high clamping force, and heavy.

AKG 361 BT. I've read it's like a QC lottery. Otherwise decent sound quality and good value.

Airpods Max. I don't want to bother with getting a lightning connector and the fact I can use a cable with a built in mic means this is a no go for me.

Perhaps some of you have some suggestions.

Thanks.
What did you end up getting and how do you like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back