Closed Back Versus Open Back in open areas
Jul 1, 2019 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

joesuburb

100+ Head-Fier
Curious question for other members. Where do you use your high-end open back headphones?

I just spent way too much money on what I consider the ultimate closed-back headphone because I mostly use it in an open environment at work and don't want to annoy everyone.

I haven't even considered an open-back headphone. Is the noise leak really not that big of a deal, or do you listen at home? I could probably get a lot more bang for the buck if I went open-back.

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 12
It has been scientifically proven that low volume sounds that the brain can't fully make out, can cause a great deal of anxiety because the brain is designed to identify everything it senses. So no leak is better than "a little leak".

Jul 7, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 12
I prefer the sound of open back headphones (in general) so it’s usually rare that I use closed back headphones. But I do have an old pair of Sony studio monitor closed back headphones that I may take out in public maybe like once in a blue moon.

Since IEMs are getting better, out of convenience I think it’s easier,

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 12
It's not pure high fidelity unless it's open-back. I don't like any reflections or enclosed like sound. I like sound to decay outwards to nothing-ness. I do however use iems due to practicality. I'm obviously not into full-sized closed backs.

iems don't break on me on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back