1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Closed Back Versus Open Back in open areas

1. joesuburb
    Curious question for other members. Where do you use your high-end open back headphones?

I just spent way too much money on what I consider the ultimate closed-back headphone because I mostly use it in an open environment at work and don't want to annoy everyone.

I haven't even considered an open-back headphone. Is the noise leak really not that big of a deal, or do you listen at home? I could probably get a lot more bang for the buck if I went open-back.

2. Amish
    Depending on volume level it can without a doubt bother others. My wife comments on this all the time if she is in the room. I don't use headphones away from home so no worries for me.

3. bflat
    It has been scientifically proven that low volume sounds that the brain can't fully make out, can cause a great deal of anxiety because the brain is designed to identify everything it senses. So no leak is better than "a little leak".

4. serman005
    I own mostly open headphones but never take them out of the house. Even a little bit of leakage can be a big annoyance to others and I don't want to deal with that.

5. wink
    Double post for full stereo effect.....

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  6. Spareribs
    I prefer the sound of open back headphones (in general) so it’s usually rare that I use closed back headphones. But I do have an old pair of Sony studio monitor closed back headphones that I may take out in public maybe like once in a blue moon.

Since IEMs are getting better, out of convenience I think it’s easier,

7. joesuburb
    I gave up on IEMs because they seem to keep breaking. Have the UE IERMs and I'm so sick of sending them in for repair.

WoodyLuvr likes this.
  8. blackdragon87
    I mainly have open headphones for use at my desk at home. I have a pair of 99 noire for portable use when I go out to use with my phone

9. yyzpam
    Even at home I go with the closed back.....love the privacy and intimacy of just me and MY music.

10. SilverEars
    It's not pure high fidelity unless it's open-back. I don't like any reflections or enclosed like sound. I like sound to decay outwards to nothing-ness. I do however use iems due to practicality. I'm obviously not into full-sized closed backs.

iems don't break on me on their own.

11. herya
    i really dont like when other persons listen to my music, then they look at me funny :D so closed back all the way when im not home alone D:

12. Wretched Stare
    I'm definitely a fan of open-back headphones but in outdoor situations I think that closed back is the only option unless you're listening really really loud, honestly I prefer noise cancelling when I'm out and about.