[Closed Back Over Ear Headphones] I am looking for a good pair for $180 or under
Jul 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kensclark15

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a bit of punchy bass, good mids, and good highs. I want to go as close to a flat signature as I possibly can while the bass is just slightly boosted. I currently have the Ultrasone HFI 580's but I am wanting a new pair because the jack on the end of the cord is a bit bent from me accidentally running into my computer a while ago and I just want to try some new headphones. I was looking at the ATH M50's, the LP2's, and the V Moda M80. I heard the M80s have crappy bass and the LP2's are not that good. I was also looking at the ATH A700x but the reviews said they have no bass whatsoever.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 7
You can get the ATH-A900X for $180 or below, I got mine for about $140.  They have more bass than the A700X, though I'm not sure if I'd call it punchy.  You'll probably find them bass-light at first, but once they break in the bass does seem much more present and "punchy". 

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 7
I was also thinking of waiting until my birthday in a few weeks and getting a pair of $300 headphones. I MAY be able to go to $400 so can you recommends some $300 to $400 headphones too? Thanks!

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 7
Waiting seems like a good idea then.  The thing about $300-400 headphones is, most if not all should be paired with an amp to get the most out of them.  Do you have an amp, and what is your source?  

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 7
I do not have an amp because I have not had headphones with a high impedance before. My source would be the sound card on the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard which is a top of the line expensive motherboard. It has an EMI shielded sound card so I should have no problem with it. If I am not using my computer then it would be my phone which is a Motorola Moto X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back