Closed back neutral headphone for Classical around $300
Jan 3, 2022 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JW1234

New Head-Fier
Hello all -

I'm looking for a neutral-sounding (no exaggerated bass!) closed back headphone for listening to instrumental classical music of all types. Price target is around $300, but of course happy to spend less. The phones would be driven by my old Headroom Little Amplifier (remember those?) In addition to accurate instrumental timbre, I also prioritize a sense of space and air, to the extent that is possible with closed back phones. Also, I now prioritize easily available replacement ear pads and decent quality construction (see below).

I loved the sound of my NAD HP50 headphones. However, the ear pads are now shot which completely messes up the sound, and the supposedly OEM replacement pads that I got from NAD's North American distributor cause the phones to sound very different from the way they did originally (the bass is now exaggerated and muddy and the treble is badly recessed).

A while ago I got a pair of AKG K167 phones when they were discontinued and hugely discounted. They weren't quite as neutral as the HP50s (the midrange sounded just slightly artificial), but I still enjoyed the sound greatly and would be happy to continue using them. However, the pads have fallen apart and no replacements are available from AKG, and because of the notoriously poor build quality I'm now epoxying various parts of the headband for the 4th or 5th time.

So, any suggestions? I'm hearing lots of good things about the AKG K371 and their price is certainly right. But given my experience with the K167's, I'm a bit worried they will fall apart on me in a year or two...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the replies! I really like the sound and fit of the Sennheiser HD600's, but I've not heard such great things about the closed-back Sennheisers and the one closed-back Sennheiser I've actually listened to (sorry, can't now remember the model number) was not that impressive. This was several years ago, so perhaps things have since changed. Regarding the AKG K551 and K553 linked to above, I don't want to get a pair of used headphones - too much chance of damage or abuse - particularly since AKG doesn't offer OEM replacement pads for these phones. This is why I'm leaning towards a new pair of AKG K371's, though I'm now a bit concerned because I haven't been able to confirm that AKG has replacement pads available for this model either.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 11
I can add ATH-A900 to that list, if you don't mind used. Fantastic closed back headphone, in my opinion, and while I love them with any type of music, classical sounds amazing on these. Especially when I pair them with a good source. Last night I played a Bach cassette through a Nak BX1 to an Asgard and it was great. Very open sound, detailed if you will, and the angled drivers are a nice touch.

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 11
While the AKG K371 has a pleasing frequency response (it does adhere pretty well to the Harman Curve), I don't think it has the right resolve/timbre to really appreciate classical music. For some reason, it seems that most people recommend the K361s over the K371s for sound signature reasons - so maybe check that out?

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT177X that I recently got (they are, unfortunately, outside of your price range). While they do have some elevated face, I can't tell you how much I enjoy listening to classical music with these. That said, Beyerdynamic does have a lineup of cheaper alternatives (DT770 or the new DT700 Pro). While they can be a bit V-shaped, I think they do have a good sense of airiness and are incredibly durable + easy pad swapping.

The Sennheiser HD280s are a pretty solid pair of closed-back headphones, if you have the right amp. From what I've heard, if you put them on a tube amp, they are rock solid. Without a tube amp, I find the HD280s a tinge on the sterile side - the tube seems to warm that up a bit and make them more enjoyable.

Both those are super durable...

If you want AKG house-signature but with durability then I recommend checking out the AKG K553 MKII (Guitar Center sells them). Those tend to be hit or miss in reviews. I can't say they were impressive cans, there wasn't anything that made me go "These are amazinggg" (except maybe a mid-forward presentation which isn't super common in closed backs). They were sort of like ole faithful to me - I took them places if I wanted good sound but didn't want to worry about damaging them.

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 11
The Sennheiser HD280s are a pretty solid pair of closed-back headphones, if you have the right amp. From what I've heard, if you put them on a tube amp, they are rock solid. Without a tube amp, I find the HD280s a tinge on the sterile side - the tube seems to warm that up a bit and make them more enjoyable.

This is a good one too actually. The HD280 isn't a bad phone...mine sound much nicer with an amp. I'd still take the A900 over these, but they are a good phone that actually got me started on this descent lol.

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 11
I ended up not getting the AKG K371's because AKG customer support confirmed that they do not make replacement ear pads, in the past I've had poor sonic results when trying to use 3rd party ear pads, and I refuse to treat headphones as a disposable item. One of the phones that was recommended to me was the KRK KNS 8402, a neutral closed-back headphone which KRK fully supports with replacement ear and headband pads. The phones list for $149 but can currently be found on sale for $86 (as of early March 2022, do a google search) and I couldn't resist buying a pair. They are pretty darn good for the price; I've just posted a review here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/krk-kns-8402-review.962441/

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 11
Congratulations! If you ever find yourself in the same situation again, I am a big fan on my Sennheiser Momentums. These are the headphones that started my audiophile journey almost a decade ago. Since those headphones, I have gone through HD650s, HD 800 S, Meze Empyreans, and floor standing speakers. Still love my Momentums and no complaints about them! No need for any extra equipment and high quality build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back