KRK KNS 8402 review
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JW1234

New Head-Fier
Hello all - I'm fairly new here and wanted to post some thoughts about the new KRK KNS 8402 headphones, which have received very little coverage here. These are an update to the KRK KNS 8400 phones that have been around for the past decade or so. I've been looking for a pair of neutral closed-back reasonably-priced headphone to replace my NAD HP50 phones, and thought these might fit the bill. I listen mostly to instrumental classical music. The list price on these phones is $149, but they are currently (March 2022) available for $86 if you search online. I broke in the phones with about 72 hours of random noise before doing any serious listening.

Build quality: The best way to describe the feel of these phones is "utlitarian." They're made of plastic, they feel cheap but they also feel sturdy. If you're looking for audiophile jewelry, stop reading now. These phones appear to be structurally similar to the KNS 8400, which was designed for pro studio use and abuse. By all accounts I've read online, the 8400's stood up well to heavy use, and I'd assume the 8402's should do the same. Most importantly, the ear pads and headband pads are replaceable and KRK sells reasonably-priced replacements. This is a huge plus, so far as I'm concerned. I had to give up previous headphones because factory replacements were not available (or in the case of the NAD, the factory replacement turned out to sound quite different from the original pad) and I don't like treating headphones as disposable items.

Comfort: Outstanding. There's really nothing more to say. These things are as comfortable as my old Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's, which were the most comfortable headphone I've used. There were some complaints about the headband on the 8400, which uses two separate pads which some people complained could cause pressure points. On my head, at least, this simpy is not an issue with the similarly-designed 8402 headband.. Clamping for is just right, the seal is excellent, and the headphones don't seem sensitive to placement on one's head. I wear glasses and they seem to have no effect on the sound quality.

Sound: The headphones I currently own are the NAD HP50 and AKG K371 [edit: AKG K167]. I loved the sound of both when they were new, but both now have worn or 3rd-party earpads that mess up the sound (no bass, over-emphasized treble). For reference, I listen to my well-set-up ProAc 1SC speakers allied with a small subwoofer to get clean bass down to around 35hz. I'm not a bass head and find that many headphones over-emphasize the bass, so take that into consideration. I should also emphasize that I've never heard the KNS 8400, so I can't compare their sound to the 8402 based on my own experience.

For the price, the 8402's sound very good. They seem accurate, neutral and have excellent transient response. The sense of space is good for a closed-back phone, but nothing special. The 8400's have reputation for being highly accurate and revealing (again, they were designed for studio use); the 8402's seem fine in this respect but I'm not suddenly hearing all sorts of details that were previously hidden. This is what I'd expect; I'm used to listening to my ProAc speakers that are themselves highly revealing and provide a great deal of detail.

There are some online complaints that the 8400 lacked bass, or had good bass extension but lacked quantity. The bass on the 8402 sounds great to me. It goes down deep, it's tight, clean, and it seems well-balanced with the higher frequencies. I can't imagine anyone wanting more bass, but as I said I'm not a bass head.

Compared to what I hear through the ProAcs, there is something very slightly off with the timbre of acoustical instruments heard through the 8402's - male voices and mid-range piano notes can sound slightly hollow and lacking in body. Listening to the ProAcs, it feels as though there are live performers playing in the room, and I remember having something of this feeling listening to the NAD HP50's when they were new. Through the 8402's, I'm more aware that I'm listening to recorded instruments. This is partly because the ProAcs create a wonderful sense of instruments suspended in space (they really excel at this), something no closed-back headphone is going to match. But I think this may also be related to the way instrumental timbre is reproduced. Listening to sweep warble tones through the 8402's, it sounds as though there's slight dip around 400hz, and I wonder if this is in part what I'm hearing.

A number of online comments concerned the treble of the 8400's - many people described it as "rough" and fatiguing, and there are some frequency graphs out there that showed a somewhat messy high frequency response. The treble of the 8402's sounds fine to me, but sometimes I find the phones a bit fatiguing after an hour of so of use. Listening to the sweep warble tones, there seems to be substantial peak around 2000-3000 hz, and I'm wondering if this over-emphasis is also contributing to the slight hollowness I'm hearing in the sound.

I know I'm sounding a bit negative, but I actually quite like these phones, and for the price they do a really fine job. I'd be very curious to know how they compare to the AKG K371's (which I crossed off my list because AKG does not sell replacement pads) or other well-regarded headphones under $300. I'd also be very curious to see a frequency response chart for the 8402's; unfortunately, KRK does not offer such a chart, nor have I been able to find any private measurements online.

I hope all this is helpful!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 4
No love for the KNS 8402?? I was hoping someone else might chime in with their listening impressions; curious whether what I'm hearing matches the experience of others, and particularly whether they are hearing a peak around 2000-3000 hz (or whether this is just my particular unit). Also curious if anyone has had an opportunity to compare the 8402 to the 8400 that it replaces.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 4
No love for the KNS 8402?? I was hoping someone else might chime in with their listening impressions; curious whether what I'm hearing matches the experience of others, and particularly whether they are hearing a peak around 2000-3000 hz (or whether this is just my particular unit). Also curious if anyone has had an opportunity to compare the 8402 to the 8400 that it replaces.
There purports to be a frequency response chart in eCoustics review of the 8402's here: https://www.ecoustics.com/reviews/krk-kns-8402-studio-headphones/

It does show a bump around 2-3k.

I own the 8400's and just got the 8402's at work. Cursory listening doesn't point out any great or major differences that stand out to me. I need more time with them, though.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 4
I have 8400s for some years, they let me hear small details very well I know because I play CSGO and this game has footsteps and I can hear the most subtle ones very well and in which direction it's coming from, seems I hear them better than whatever ~$100 pair I had before these (some sort of sennheizers). I also play synthesizers etc and they seem to give a very clean soudn when plugged directly into the synth (some reason my Roland Duo Capture USB audio interface gives noise, never figured that out).

But the wire in the headphones did yank out but I did sort of get tangled on them, they're not super rugged, they use some stupid fragile inner Litz Wire which doesn't seem insulated at all and someone here said Litz is a pain to work with. I wish they didn't swivel because not many people need to like pack these in a suitcase flat so it's just another part to break or cause friction on the inner wire. To repair the inner wire with these seems like a stupid configuration with holes etc the wire has to go through and still withstand friction from hard plastic pivoting on it. I've repaired the inner wire of several other ~$100 phones in the past much easier and quicker and longer lasting. Since I didn't have spare Litz, and there wasn't enough slack, and I didn't really trust it because there was just enough slack to get the ends to touch the solder point but for some reason I couldn't get it to conduct even after burning the outer wrap and scraping to clean copper), I used some thing ~1mm dual strand copper wire I had spare, and the 8400s held up for about 10 months but then suddenly stopped and I see where the wire exits one of these stupid swivel hole areas it rubbed itself apart. There's really no room to put any thicker wire than Litz so I'' try to source a few feet more of Litz to repair and hope it holds up, but I'd rather a more rugged simplier , easy-to-repair and last long pair of phones for around the same price and still this type of closed back neutral monitoring sound and asked here for options but didn't really get what I was hoping for.

A big selling point for KRK KNS for me was being vegan these pads don't have any leather or egg protein or frog skin etc weird stuff in them, but the replacements were backordered for year+ after I placed my order but was able to cancel it eventually and bought the cheaper chinese replacements off ebay which likely/hopefully are vegan too (probably tried asking seller but they probably wouldn't go through the trouble to really get the true answer). KRK confirmed years ago the 8400s are vegan and I inquired about the 8402 but didn't get a reply. They might be interchangeable. I found them quite comfortable, I have a sorta pharaoh shaped head or something and they fit me, IDK I'm not a huge guy or wear a large fitted baseball hat but for some reason I need like adult XL snowboard helmet size even after measuring and ordering what was supposed to fit 3x finally settling on xl or xxl fit good.

Right now I'm using some $5 cheap phones until I either repair with litz the 8400s or get something different, I just started playing CSGO again and these things are terrible, noisy, but it's also CSGO's fault that you need to crank the volume up to hear footsteps but there's also very loud bangs from the AWP rifle and especially you can pay CSGO like $2 to get a song snippet played after each round if you win and that and the AWP and other loud noises in the game are like total ear rape with these headphones but also even with any headphones the ratio of footsteps to other loud noises you need to crank the volume up to hear and it's like class action lawsuit health ear health concern how stupid they designed that ratio I wish they'd fix that instead of working on sly ways to get peopel to pay a few dollars here and there for add-ons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back