Closed back headphones with a suspension headband for Twitch streaming/recording vocals?
Feb 8, 2024 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ShadowCloud

New Head-Fier
I learned recently that headphones with a suspension headbands like the Arctis 7p and Philips Fidelio X2HR are the only headphones that I can wear for a long time without developing a headache(mono headsets aside). I'm looking to upgrade from the Arctis 7p. I have mostly been using this headphone for studio monitoring for voice acting with my AT4040 mic plugged into an audio interface, while also streaming to Twitch.

I was recommended the Audeze Maxwell, but it seems like there are some build issues and that wired isn't as good as wireless? I did order the AKG Pro Audio K271 MKII since I saw it on sale for $128 on Amazon. Good thing about Amazon is that I return it easily if it's not comfortable or good enough.

Any recommendations for perhaps under $300?

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 18
AKG is a good bet, though I haven't heard that particular one.

Sundara also has a suspension strap. On many Hifiman headphones, the headband can be swapped for the one with the suspension strap, though that adds $75 to the headphone if buying new.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 18
I learned recently that headphones with a suspension headbands like the Arctis 7p and Philips Fidelio X2HR are the only headphones that I can wear for a long time without developing a headache(mono headsets aside). I'm looking to upgrade from the Arctis 7p. I have mostly been using this headphone for studio monitoring for voice acting with my AT4040 mic plugged into an audio interface, while also streaming to Twitch.

I was recommended the Audeze Maxwell, but it seems like there are some build issues and that wired isn't as good as wireless? I did order the AKG Pro Audio K271 MKII since I saw it on sale for $128 on Amazon. Good thing about Amazon is that I return it easily if it's not comfortable or good enough.

Any recommendations for perhaps under $300?
Sometimes you can find a Dan Clar Audio x Drop Closed around that price. That's a very good headphone. Outside of that, do you need a wired or wireless headphone?

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 18
The Hifiman Sundara Closed would be another option.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 18
The one I order is the k271 since the k371 doesn't have a suspension headband. Someone mentioned the Hifiman Sundara Closed. Is the 2020 version that much better that it's worth double the price?
https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-Audi...48-9ced-a75f6110b272&pd_rd_i=B088T14XB8&psc=1

Hard to say. I'd say the open has better sound quality overall, but twice as much might be a stretch if you're hitting the top of your budget. Also keep in mind the other model is open, so sound will escape and outside sounds will be very apparent

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 18
I'm going to return to the K271 that I wasn't able to cancel in time since it seems like it's a bit lacking in bass(even though I do want a neutral sound). I think I'm going above my budget with the Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X since it's on sale at $429 (or should I wait for a $399 sale?). If I plug them into my Motu M2 audio interface, will it be okay or do I really need a separate amp for it?

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 18
I'm going to return to the K271 that I wasn't able to cancel in time since it seems like it's a bit lacking in bass(even though I do want a neutral sound). I think I'm going above my budget with the Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X since it's on sale at $429 (or should I wait for a $399 sale?). If I plug them into my Motu M2 audio interface, will it be okay or do I really need a separate amp for it?

I think you'll probably get enough volume based on the specs I'm seeing, but if you want to get the Aeons to their full potential you'd probably eventually want a separate amp

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 18
You might be able to get the Dan Clark used for cheaper used on eBay or the second hand market. Also the Akg k371 is excellent and typically around 120 and has a lot of bass!

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 18
Ended up ordering the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X since there was also a $10 off coupon. I'm a leery of second hand market because the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X(lack of suspension headband so it hurt my head) I ordered from ebay ended up not being returnable to the seller and I ended up having to contact Ebay's customer service who reassure me that I can still be issued a refund with buyer's' protection.

The AKG K371 is a no go because it has no suspension headband.

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 18
Ended up ordering the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X since there was also a $10 off coupon. I'm a leery of second hand market because the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X(lack of suspension headband so it hurt my head) I ordered from ebay ended up not being returnable to the seller and I ended up having to contact Ebay's customer service who reassure me that I can still be issued a refund with buyer's' protection.

The AKG K371 is a no go because it has no suspension headband.

If you otherwise liked the Beyer, have you thought about adding your own suspension strap?

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...and_easy_suspension_headband_for_dt700_pro_x/

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 18
If you otherwise liked the Beyer, have you thought about adding your own suspension strap?

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...and_easy_suspension_headband_for_dt700_pro_x/
Thank you. Oh wow that is ingenious. I ordered a strap from Amazon for $10 so I'll test it out with the hack that guy did with the DT 700 Pro X. I do have some zip ties so I'll see if I can replicate what he did. If it ends up making the DT 700 Pro X more comfortable and wearable, I'll cancel that Drop + Aeon Closed X order since apparently it won't ship until March 18.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 18
Hope you can make the Beyers work. If you can't, the ATH-R70X (photo in my avatar) is crazy comfortable with great sound. Thomann has it for about $325 shipped -- a slight stretch for the budget, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back