Closed Back Can's for my Music; <$150
Sep 14, 2009 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

unl3a5h3d

500+ Head-Fier
Okay I am looking for some closed back/noise canceling headphones good for my music. My budget is <$150. I have a FiiO E5 amp that if I have to use an amp it will be that one till my funds replenish. So an amp is a possibility. Here are some artists I listen to quite often:

Jack Johnson
Jeff Buckley
Radiohead
Beck
Coldplay
John Mayer

Along with some jazz and rock/screamo. Not much pop/rap. And if I do it is old school.

Originally I was looking at the HD555's but I tried some noise canceling headphones at best buy and I think I would like those more. Thanks in advance!

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 16
Noise canceling (I'll use NC from here on) headphones have a built in amp of dubious quality. they use this amp to create an inverse sound wave canceling the noise. These often have a lower quality sound than other non NC Phones. My advice is this find some high quality Isolating phones these will isolate you from outside noises and give you better quality sound than a NC can give. OH one more thing NC phones won't benefit from your e5 where as an Isolating will.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 16
Wow thanks. I have looked at some but could I find some for <$150?

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 16
Senn hd25-1 ii. usually lately well under $150 shipped used here at headfi. suckers are great and dont need to be amped. buckleys both jeff and tim sound great, i can vouch for crasy good sounding ok computer and kid a; the current beck which i needle dropped is just amazing under them, as is the mofi cd of sea change.

i'm tellin ya, these perform so far beyond their price point its unreal.
last night i was listening to my main rig thru an hr2 and grado rs1i's. just for fun i pulled em off and swapped out to the hd25-1 ii's, and i could not believe how well they held up. they sounded great back to back with the rs1i's. obviously not at the same level but (listening to a classic records pressing of who's next)they delivered an awful lot of what the $700 rs1i's delivered. blew my mind.

also, i pulled the hr2 outta my system and a/b'd the hd25-1 ii's straight from my laptop, to laptop>hr2>hd25-1 ii's. i'd been loving them without the amp but assumed there'd be a big difference with ( i was all set to start using an amp at work with them). but they absolutely do not need it. barely a difference. only can i've ever tried where this is true (even portapros and sr60's love to be amped although they don't need to be. but these baby's just don't care).

isolation is fantastic and they are supposed to take a beating (i've only had mine for 5-6 weeks.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 16
I found one for $129 on Amazon. They look pretty sweet. I just want the best sound headphones that are pretty comfortable. Any more suggestions?

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 16
Sep 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 16
Personally I'd go with the A700 from AT. They will have a better presentation for acoustic guitar, the Denon's I've had and owned in the past muddied the bass and too much bloat bass and hump for acoustic guitar. A700 will still have more bass than an open air counterpart, AD700, but should be good for a closed headphone.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 16
Well I am thinking with my budget I should just get the HD555's even though they are open and get some really nice closed later. That way I can really get the quality I am looking for.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay I am looking for some closed back/noise canceling headphones good for my music. My budget is <$150. I have a FiiO E5 amp that if I have to use an amp it will be that one till my funds replenish. So an amp is a possibility. Here are some artists I listen to quite often:

Jack Johnson
Jeff Buckley
Radiohead
Beck
Coldplay
John Mayer

Along with some jazz and rock/screamo. Not much pop/rap. And if I do it is old school.

Originally I was looking at the HD555's but I tried some noise canceling headphones at best buy and I think I would like those more. Thanks in advance!

Shure SRH840, hands down. Find a used pair if you must. I listen to all the bands you mentioned with the exception of Jeff Buckley.

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 16
They are a little out of my budget. But I will still consider.

If I up my budget and get the HD595's will I be able to tell a difference from the HD555. And I will probably get a good amp later so..yeah?

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 16
how about the akg 271's. i have them now and really like the sound... very good at isolating outisde noise.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the DT150. You can get them for $157USD new and they sound great.

Agreed here, I got myself a pair last Saturday and couldn't be happier with how good they are with all the music I listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back