Closed back and Jazz
Mar 2, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikuji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will Closed/seal headphone work well with Jazz music? My Grado leak to much sound when my girlfriend is studying.

Earplugs for your girlfriend are easier to get than good closed headphones and way cheaper.

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earplugs for your girlfriend are easier to get than good closed headphones and way cheaper.

That sounds like a good idea.
tongue.gif

But, I think she wouldn't agree.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Will Closed/seal headphone work well with Jazz music? My Grado leak to much sound when my girlfriend is studying.

Why not? It all depends on your budget and your finding the right cans for your sound taste for jazz. I'm enjoying a lot the DX1000 with jazz, which is the style I listen more, but you might find them too bassy or whatever. I guess the Ultrasone HFI-780 should also sound very good with jazz, check the long thread about these HPs. There are many interesting closed cans out there, it's all about finding the ones you like most into your budget.

Rgrds.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2...
biggrin.gif

Stickwith Grado!
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 32
Some recordings are brighter than others etc. or typically bass-heavy - so you have to choose .........I go with Alessandro MS Pro sometimes, Joe Grado HP-2 sometimes, and X-Deep Darth Beyers sometimes (and of course, for best result - that means 2 amps). Perhaps a different GF would be cheaper and easier to handle.

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? It all depends on your budget and your finding the right cans for your sound taste for jazz. I'm enjoying a lot the DX1000 with jazz, which is the style I listen more, but you might find them too bassy or whatever. I guess the Ultrasone HFI-780 should also sound very good with jazz, check the long thread about these HPs. There are many interesting closed cans out there, it's all about finding the ones you like most into your budget.

Rgrds.

Will the bassy sound bring bring out the upright bass? I love upright Bass as an instrument.

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Will the bassy sound bring bring out the upright bass? I love upright Bass as an instrument.

Absolutely. Also the left hand chords on piano. It's amazing how the rhythmical and space feeling increases when you have some clean "extra" bass. You'd just need to be sure that the extra response on low frequencies is a good quality one, otherwise you´ll find yourself listening to the bloody one-note bass. Baritone sax also gets a wonderful tone
wink.gif

Rgrds

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely. Also the left hand chords on piano. It's amazing how the rhythmical and space feeling increases when you have some clean "extra" bass. You'd just need to be sure that the extra response on low frequencies is a good quality one, otherwise you´ll find yourself listening to the bloody one-note bass. Baritone sax also gets a wonderful tone
wink.gif

Rgrds

Thanks for your input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RP21s sound great for jazz.

I just ordered DT770/80.

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 32
I hope you have better results with the DT770 than me. I found it horrible in its stock form. Muddy and indiscernible, however I did send it to Larry for Darth Mod and now I love it. But having owned both the stock DT770 and the RP21 at the same time it was no contest for me- the RP21 was a clear winner. However each on to their own.

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 32
K271S

EDIT: Oops, I didn't notice that you had already ordered the DT770. I've owned two pairs of those headphones, but for jazz, I still would recommend the AKG K271S over them.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 32
You've touched on a point re my post above - eg. Diana Krall tracks will be recorded on the bass-heavy side, and therefore with Darths or dt990/600 - become too much. OTOH Dee Dee Washington becomes too bright if you use Alessandro MS Pro, IMO. .............I could have suggested something like building Darthbeyers with 32ohm drivers (treble is somewhat brighter than std. versions) - but that would become more expensive than std Darths for you.
Piano performances can be a little tricky - I tend toward Joe Grado for accuracy with those.
BTW - I used to play bass for a few years and studied with bassist from Toscanini's NBC Sym.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back