Closed back alternative to HD 600, for mixing.
Jan 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #31 of 43
It's not that it's ugly... It's just decidedly uncomfortable by all reports. Everybody who praises these phones feels obligated to finish their praise by admitting how uncomfortable these are. To me, comfort is the most important part of a headphone, right next to audio quality. 

I really never had an issue with the comfort, so I guess I selectively missed folks speaking of that aspect. .

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #32 of 43
The dt100 is so strangely uncomfortable, i need to have pep talk before wearing them

Though i assume the dt150 with the fatter pads is "better"

but i have seen on tht dt150 thread someone put pilot pad and alpha muffs and they look'n deadly comfy and deadly deadly

I think i could drop this thing from a plane, and it would survive

:evil:

That was me.:p

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #33 of 43
I have a few pairs of Grados, Sony 7506’s - but my go-to cans are the HD 600’s.  If I have to go closed back I use NAD HP 50’s - nice for mixing.  The presence region isn’t hyped and the bass isn’t overblown - pretty even-keel balance from top to bottom - also surprisingly open sounding for a closed back ‘phone...

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #34 of 43
This thread starts to be really funny :D
A lot of people who are not mixing telling you what you should be using for mixing instead of the HD600 - which you said you used and were happy with it - and not answering your question. Pfff...
Well everyone has an opinion on neutrality, I am not going to go in it. But to answer your question: the closest closed back headphone to the HD 600 is the Shure SRH840. Apart from a few dips here and there, their frequency response is basically identical. Check it on InnerFidelity. I had them both at the same time and ath the end I sold the Shure as I did not feel the need to have the same headphones twice.

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #35 of 43
Oppo PM3 is said to be the most neutral closed back. Brainwavz HM5 also comes to mind. Ultimately the sonarworks plugin with an m40x would be my recommendation(this is what I use for closed back mixing)

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #36 of 43
For the record, I got both Shure 440 and Audio Technica m40x and, after listening back and forth for days, there was no doubt in my mind that m40x was superior. Incredibly neutral, to the point where it could replace the HD 600, and pleasant to listen to. The Shure SRH 440, on the other hand, had some strange harshness and some unpleasant echo which wasn't suitable for long sessions. Many recommended I get the cheaper 440 because it's more neutral than the 840. It maybe very well be neutral but, to me, it just didn't sound as flat as the m40x. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #40 of 43
Why don't you use the HD25, perfect for mixing, closed back, and the sound is mostly balanced. Okay they are not the same as HD600/HD650, but they sound balanced, with good firm bass, good mids and yes, slightly sibilant highs... but they are great closed back Senn cans for studio/mixing use.

If you prefer around ear headphones like the HD600, you may also consider the HD380, which is also closed back like the HD25, but maybe more "polite", less agressive, les sibilant, smoother compared to the HD25. And it's an around the ear closed back headphone.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #42 of 43
Why don't you use the HD25, perfect for mixing, closed back, and the sound is mostly balanced. Okay they are not the same as HD600/HD650, but they sound balanced, with good firm bass, good mids and yes, slightly sibilant highs... but they are great closed back Senn cans for studio/mixing use.

If you prefer around ear headphones like the HD600, you may also consider the HD380, which is also closed back like the HD25, but maybe more "polite", less agressive, les sibilant, smoother compared to the HD25. And it's an around the ear closed back headphone.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the only on-ear headphone I can tolerate is a well stretched PX 100 ii. I only use over ear headphones.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #43 of 43
Then give the HD380 a try...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back