Closed alternative to HD650?
Aug 6, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I can see the comparison between the Denons and the HD650s, but comparing the stock versions, the Denons are quite a bit brighter. I think the comparison probably stems from the bass, and the fact that both have a bit of richness to them. Also the D2000s are also pretty airy so the highs are less likely to be shrill, like a Grado or DT990 can be to some of us.

ummm...if A+B=AB and B+C=BC....wouldn't that make the Denon's the Top Dogs?

I'm just saying...

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by splawren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I found the cable upgrade to the HD650 to help clear up the high-end and provide some better definition to the sound, but not enough to justify the price difference (please, no flaming, just personal opinion). At those prices, you could almost just go try another headphone altogether or put the money towards a better source. I think the HD650's have the most dramatic improvement when upgrading the source, hence my current and ongoing experiments with amps...

I have to agree with splawren as well on the cable upgrade. IMHO, it made the HD650s shine more, but I didn't think it justified the price. That's just me, but if your happy with cables than go for it. In the end, it's your happiness with the cans you love that really matters.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #33 of 44
Funky cablez = subliminal tone controls.

Hope this helps,

Bootleg

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

You could always have the HD 650s woodied

I wonder why the Senn woodies do not seem that popular given all the Senn users here? Looks like you can get plugs for the screened woodies so you can have your Senn's both opened and closed.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #35 of 44
Just got an email back from Larry.

Right now sitting on roughly a 10 week wait if I order up the woody mods.

Once the 650s get here I'll have to decide whether or not to make that plunge.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder why the Senn woodies do not seem that popular given all the Senn users here? Looks like you can get plugs for the screened woodies so you can have your Senn's both opened and closed.

Its b/c ppl who have/had them report that the sound is not that enhanced/changed with woodies. They make them closed, yes...but thats about it. Most don't find it worth the price just to make them closed.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #37 of 44
I am in week 9 anxiously waiting for my woodies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by schapman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got an email back from Larry.

Right now sitting on roughly a 10 week wait if I order up the woody mods.

Once the 650s get here I'll have to decide whether or not to make that plunge.

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in week 9 anxiously waiting for my woodies!

10 weeks is a long time, but could turn out to be well worth the wait.

When that time occurs, please tell us how goes.

Woodies with some dynamat or dampening material could do the trick!

After I get back off my next trip I may look into getting a pair made.

schapman - Don't let the wait time deter your efforts; sometimes that's the way that it goes with this hobby! I waited at least 4 months for my KGSS, XIN amps take that or longer, you get my point, 10 weeks should be a piece of cake!

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the Denon D2000's and D5000's back to back for about an hour in my home. The D5000's had been recabled by Alex.

The cable itself, physically and visually is definitely an upgrade over stock, but in terms of SQ, I had a very hard time differentiating between the two cans...ALL THINGS CONSIDERED INCLUDING THE WOOD CUPS OF THE D5000.

No need to bold that, I thought it was already known that the wood cups don't make much difference?
tongue.gif
For what it's worth I had listened to a recabled D2000 vs my re-terminated D5000, and it was also very very close. Close enough that my friend was almost satisfied with his D2000, but I think his lust for wood has overcome him
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 close to HD650 ?

Not really. The w1000s have great detail in the mid-upper range, but are a lot more neutral of a sound than the dark senn sound. You also lose that great bass that i miss from the 650s (can' twait for the new ones to show up!)

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its b/c ppl who have/had them report that the sound is not that enhanced/changed with woodies. They make them closed, yes...but thats about it. Most don't find it worth the price just to make them closed.

x2

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to bold that, I thought it was already known that the wood cups don't make much difference?
tongue.gif
For what it's worth I had listened to a recabled D2000 vs my re-terminated D5000, and it was also very very close. Close enough that my friend was almost satisfied with his D2000, but I think his lust for wood has overcome him
biggrin.gif

Even after all of that, I bought a pair of D5000's anyway...i hate the thought that I have left something on the table...at least now I know I haven't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back