Closed advice - Senn 280, Senn 25, Beyer 250, AKG 271
Apr 24, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And also read this
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221069
I agree on everything said by saint.panda regarding K271S spare his perception of the bass as weak.

+1 saint.panda's review has been almost spot on with my observations too except the bass. Then again I tend to lean towards the leaner side on bass so maybe to some they would be weak. IMO it's less than the 600 (with stock cable on 600/headphile on 271).

If it wasn't for the fact I have a comfort issue with them I couldn't imagine parting with mine. Great sound, cheap (relatively), easily replaceable cable, on-off switch is kinda cool too.

Ant

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it wasn't for the fact I have a comfort issue with them I couldn't imagine parting with mine.
Ant

Did you give velour pads a chance? I had some comfort issues too until I replaced pads, and this is not only sweat problem, stock pads were too shallow so my ears were touching drivers, velour pads are deeper and seal better too, which also helps with bass impact.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you give velour pads a chance? I had some comfort issues too until I replaced pads, and this is not only sweat problem, stock pads were too shallow so my ears were touching drivers, velour pads are deeper and seal better too, which also helps with bass impact.

I've been debating whether to do that up until this post, mainly to reduce the heat. You hit the nail on the head though, I have the same problem with one of my ears touching the driver (my ears are pretty different). Can only wear them for about an hour before the pain sets in with the stock pads.

Thanks for the advice, guess I'm ordering some pads tomorrow. If the velour fixes the heat and comfort I see some Senns and Grados for sale soon.
biggrin.gif

Ant

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #19 of 26
i like my hd 280 pro.. but if hd 25 is within your budget i think it is a better can
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the K240S sounded better than the K271S.

I agree. I have a pair of K240S too (semi-open, didn't mention them because the OP was looking for closed phones), and I find them far better than my recollection of the K271S. They have a great tonal balance, unlike the K271S, which is the first thing that must be gotten right as far as I'm concerned.

They're my go-to phone, and I do most of my music listening on them. I prefer the DT250 overall, but I keep it at (audio) school and use it for my recording and mixing there, so my K240S's are what I use at home for music listening. Sometimes I switch it up, but it becomes a hassle to always be transporting headphones around. Anyways...

It's amazing that these come in at half the price of the K271S, yet sound better. Are open headphones that much easier to make sound good than closed ones?

Ry-Fi

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #22 of 26
I've always wondered if there are possibly different versions of K271S cans out there because my pair has never been what I would call bass-deficient. In fact, I think it has a very rich bass rendition. If it weren't for the fact that the pads (both pleather and velour) are slightly small for my ears, I'd use these much more often than I do now. I really think that for closed cans, the 271s are one of the best out there.

However, I've never heard the DT250 before, and am anxious to give them a try someday.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always wondered if there are possibly different versions of K271S cans out there

I've wondered the same thing, occasionally I see very different impressions of them . I'm sure some can be written off to the "different gear, different ears, etc." but some of the impressions seem more extreme than I would expect from that. For example, to me, mine sound nothing like the HD600 (thankfully) and have good detail (on par with the 600 and better than the 225).
Ant

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Cause I thought the HD280 SUCKED TOTAL ASS.
Seriously. I would suggest that people removed those horrendous drivers and replace them with another when you buy those cans.

I've heard the 280s and I didnt think they sucked at all... not as good as my 580s, but not that bad.

Hope the OP doesn't mind me slipping in and asking everyone what sealed headphones I should get for the best SQ < $250. Right now I listen to mostly Trip Hop, Hip Hop, and Latin Jazz. These are on my list, feel free to rank them.

- Senn HD25-1
- Technica A900
- AKg 271
- Beyer DT770 pro

BTW, I love my 580s!!!

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've wondered the same thing, occasionally I see very different impressions of them . I'm sure some can be written off to the "different gear, different ears, etc." but some of the impressions seem more extreme than I would expect from that. For example, to me, mine sound nothing like the HD600 (thankfully) and have good detail (on par with the 600 and better than the 225).
Ant

x3,
Mine are touching HD650 bass quantity wise. I thought that was because of Zu cable and pads.
confused.gif
But I know for sure that were more shy in the lows new, may be that's just result of prolonged burn in or combination of all 4 (proper amplification, burn in, Zu cable, and pads with better seal).

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #26 of 26
Hmm.... I'll have to see how the velour changes mine, looks like it'll be a couple weeks before they ship out per Frank. Right now mine have less than the 600, some of which could be from the seal being disrupted by my ear pressing against the driver. I'm hoping the bass doesn't get that strong though.. the (stock) 650 has too much quantity for me.

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back