Close to buying the AKG K240s, any last minute advice?
Dec 4, 2007 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Iamgag7

New Head-Fier
I will be using them for some here and there music making on my PC with Cubase (using VSTi, ect.. NO LIVE INSTRUMENTS).

I came close to buying these..but backed out for some reasons..

Beyer DT 770 PRO-80 Ohm: backed out due to reading I need an AMP to get the best of them.. cant afford the phones and an AMP together (the phones themselves are pushing my budget to begin with)

AKG 271s: backed out because they push my budget and the bass response, from graphs and what i hear is not all there... I will be producing hiphop/techno and while I want accuracy.. I kind of want some bass so i know what the hell my bass sounds like..

Audio technica ath m40fs: I hear they are really flat, but "harsh" ? i read mixed reviews... i was almost convinced but I just decided it wasnt adding up for me...

So there you have it... I am comming from sony MDR V700 DJ and just want something that better respresents the rough mixes i will be making..

P.S. please don't recomend monitors...i CANNOT use these due to living conditions...and also i travel a bit so i need to be mobile.

thank you!

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 10
I think I might have recommended the 240s to you in another post. If you haven't already done so, check out the iM716s for 39 with google checkout on buy.com. muHAHA ...another decision.....

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony v6? Tried and true studio use. Also they fold.

Not a bad idea: cheaper, sound pretty good unamped, more easily mobile than the other options. A good level down in potential performance, but will probably be pretty solid for the op's uses.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 10
AKG k240s are very nice headphones, first high end headphones I got.

I'd also look at the Equation Audio RP-21 - same price range ($100), but a different sound signature - not the same lush midrange but much more treble.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG k240s are very nice headphones, first high end headphones I got.

I'd also look at the Equation Audio RP-21 - same price range ($100), but a different sound signature - not the same lush midrange but much more treble.

The problem I see with the 240S is its unamped performance. I think amped it will do a much better job than a V6, but without an amp I find it unsatisfying. I've not heard an RP-21, but from what I've read it would also be a good option for the op to consider.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Yes, RP21 is another good option. Modular cable, fold up nicely. Also have better bass performance than the v6.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem I see with the 240S is its unamped performance. I think amped it will do a much better job than a V6, but without an amp I find it unsatisfying. I've not heard an RP-21, but from what I've read it would also be a good option for the op to consider.

it works quite fine unamped - opens up a bit with an amp, but I wouldn't stop from buying it if I didn't have an amp. It's still a good headphone.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 10
so would the k240s be the best in its price range for my uses?
smily_headphones1.gif
any more inputs? thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back