Clipping in recent CDs
May 1, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #31 of 38
You're not far from the mark, apparently, mcmyers. Pop/Rock musicians want a sound that will grab your attention on radio. Metal musicians more often than not are taking the Spinal Tap approach ("but this one goes to 11!"). I REALLY wish this weren't the case, as I LOVE metal, but a lot of it really is uncomfortable to listen to with better gear. Depressing.

-Packgrog

May 1, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any online references for finding CDs on the market today that preserve dynamic range? ARE there any CDs on the market today that preserve dynamic range?

Yeah I would like to know this as well (pretty much what I was asking in my post above). Even if it isnt fully comprehensive, at least some kind of resource would be great.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #35 of 38
I just picked up the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers CD, "The Last DJ" and was really surprised at how horribly compressed everything is. Instruments are washed out, and it becomes an annoying noise, rather than music.

This is a real shame because the album is good, I just don't like listening to it.

It's also ironic, because the first few tracks are about selling out to the music industry.

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #37 of 38
The irony is that now compression often makes tracks sound quieter, because radio stations re-compress the music for broadcast or the iPod/iTunes Soundcheck dials it down. This is especially true on European iPods which are quieter anyway.

I was reading somewhere that DVD audio discs are supposed to be much better because they have to be mastered to Dolby specifications which prevent them getting compressed too much.

What it needs is for one big artist to release a special "re-re-mastered" best of album and for all the audiophiles to go and buy it. Once they realise there is a market for properly mastered CDs, even if just as special editions, hopefully more will be forthcoming.

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any resource online which catalouges/lists CD's which have been mastered very well, to faithfully keep the dynamics?

I too would love to see this. Maybe get the CDDB guys to add an extra tag for the "crappiness" of the mastering. 0% would be perfect, full dynamic range with no clipping. 100% would be a Jay-Z album (shame 'cos I like him.)

It would be really useful for collectors. Sometimes, different versions of a CD are better than others. For example, the asian release might be better than the European release. Or the original might be better than the re-released re-mastered version. Knowing which one to buy would be really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back