Clip+ Sound Quality, really??
Apr 9, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #61 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently certain headphones "synergize" better with certain sources. Mind me asking what headphones you used during the comparison?

we used both mine and his, I have a pair of Sony 36v's and his were a pair of Bose, sorry I have no idea what model he has,

What we did was play each song and listend with both headphones, we were also seeing how much better the bose should be as well. and I was shocked to hear him say, of all people who is seriously an Apple guy through and through, that it did just sound better and clearer. But of course he went on to say That his was more fun, and I will admit the 5Gen nano does have some fun features but mine has better sq and was $80 cheaper.
wink_face.gif

but serioulsy it is just a cleaner or more well defined sound

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #62 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried reading this thread for one? Others said a rockboxed Clip+ sounds as good or better than an SFlo2. I won't search the whole forum for each one, you go for it.

Someone saying it is the best DAP they have heard doesn't mean anything.
Example. Person A has only eve listened to cheap iPod copies. Of course the Clip+ is going to be the best sounding DAP he/she has ever heard.

Look I can see where the OP is coming from. I just think everyone's statements can be rather too bold at times. No point to start a flame war over it though.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #63 of 179
I don't want to start a flame war or any sort of conflict. Considering my job and my love of music and the need to have it on the go and the fact that I auditioned various DAP's over two months before getting the Clip+, I simply wanted to share my opinions and thoughts on the Clip+. Perhaps they might help someone who was searching for great sound. I was paranoid about the Clip+ before ordering it but decided to give it a try. Some people here helped me by posting what they thought about the Clip+. If I can help someone as well...great.

I still feel the Clip+ is the best I have heard. That's stock, no rockbox and using my UE-10's on the HO. It's hissless, clean and well defined across all the frequencies. What you put in is what you get out and that's awesome IMHO.

YMMV and that's fine. However, that is just my opinion. No more or less valid than anyone else's. I don't believe I am absolutely right about the Clip+ and other people are wrong. The only time anyone can be wrong about their preferences is in the belief that they are right in any objective sense and that someone else is completely wrong.

Just to be clear, I'm certainly not saying that everyone associated in this thread exhibits any bad senses, especially the sense of hearing. The audiophile scene certainly has no monopoly on this brand of delusional arrogance. Delusional arrogance always saddens me because I can remember when I first joined Head-Fi a long time ago, we could all share music with different set-ups without anybody worrying about which set-up was "true" or "real" or "better sounding" much less trying to attain the title of "best sounding rig" or setting out to critique or debunk popular thoughts, products or opinions. If anything, everyone was proud to share some incredible music, in all its forms, and celebrate our diversity and choices instead of being frightened or threatened by them. Nobody was out to prove anything except their love of music and their love of this community. Sadly, most of those people have left and I miss them dearly. Others simply don't post anymore.

Since I joined, Head-Fi has grown so much and expanded to embrace so many different people of different age groups with different experiences and approaches (and this is a beautiful thing). However, instead of taking pride in this growth and associated diversity, we react with fear and segregate ourselves by retreating into separate camps and proclaiming that only those in our tiny niche represent "audiophile sound", and anyone else is a traitor helping to either kill the culture or becoming a shill for "the man". Perhaps this is an inevitable consequence of audiophile headphone listening evolving into a million dollar industry, and its incorporation into the American mainstream since the release of the iPod. Regardless, this sarcastic attitude and "right v. wrong" approach really depresses me, especially when it comes from new members.

So....anyone actually enjoying their Clip+?

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #64 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to start a flame war or any sort of conflict. Considering my job and my love of music and the need to have it on the go and the fact that I auditioned various DAP's over two months before getting the Clip+, I simply wanted to share my opinions and thoughts on the Clip+. Perhaps they might help someone who was searching for great sound. I was paranoid about the Clip+ before ordering it but decided to give it a try. Some people here helped me by posting what they thought about the Clip+. If I can help someone as well...great.

I still feel the Clip+ is the best I have heard. That's stock, no rockbox and using my UE-10's on the HO. It's hissless, clean and well defined across all the frequencies. What you put in is what you get out and that's awesome IMHO.

YMMV and that's fine. However, that is just my opinion. No more or less valid than anyone else's. I don't believe I am absolutely right about the Clip+ and other people are wrong. The only time anyone can be wrong about their preferences is in the belief that they are right in any objective sense and that someone else is completely wrong.

Just to be clear, I'm certainly not saying that everyone associated in this thread exhibits any bad senses, especially the sense of hearing. The audiophile scene certainly has no monopoly on this brand of delusional arrogance. Delusional arrogance always saddens me because I can remember when I first joined Head-Fi a long time ago, we could all share music with different set-ups without anybody worrying about which set-up was "true" or "real" or "better sounding" much less trying to attain the title of "best sounding rig" or setting out to critique or debunk popular thoughts, products or opinions. If anything, everyone was proud to share some incredible music, in all its forms, and celebrate our diversity and choices instead of being frightened or threatened by them. Nobody was out to prove anything except their love of music and their love of this community. Sadly, most of those people have left and I miss them dearly.

Since I joined, Head-Fi has grown so much and expanded to embrace so many different people of different age groups with different experiences and approaches (and this is a beautiful thing). However, instead of taking pride in this growth and associated diversity, we react with fear and segregate ourselves by retreating into separate camps and proclaiming that only those in our tiny niche represent "audiophile sound", and anyone else is a traitor helping to either kill the culture or becoming a shill for "the man". Perhaps this is an inevitable consequence of audiophile headphone listening evolving into a million dollar industry, and its incorporation into the American mainstream since the release of the iPod. Regardless, this sarcastic attitude and "right v. wrong" approach really depresses me, especially when it comes from new members.

So....anyone actually enjoying their Clip+?

I totally get where you're coming from, even if my own personal experience is different. Viva la difference, as they say.... and long may Head-fi continue. It's an amazing resource.

By the way, you might want to change your avatar - makes it look like you're more an iPod than a Clip fan!
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #65 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, you might want to change your avatar - makes it look like you're more an iPod than a Clip fan!
bigsmile_face.gif

LOL! I never thought about that.
biggrin.gif

I actually am an iPod fan. I own a 5.5G that has received many years of use and a new iPod Touch. I still vastly prefer the Clip+ though.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #66 of 179
So far i've seen a few people comparing favourably the Clip/Fuze HO with the iriver H120/140 optical out + amp
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4245441-post1.html
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6395742-post423.html

That means something to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass isn't the problem on the clip, its the whole frequency spectrum in that some of it seems to be missing across the board

The Clip is perfectly flat with a regular load, see the RMAA tests. Maybe not so with specific headphones... the UM1s are terrible with the Clip for instance, because of the lack of power.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #67 of 179
I kind of see where the OP was coming from, when I first listened to the Clip+ I wasn't blown away - If anything I felt a little let down after reading all the Head-Fi hype.

Then I discovered you could Rockbox it, oh boy that made it hell of a better. I'm enjoying my Clip+ for the experience of Rockboxing it, least I was until the latest builds started to become increasing unreliable.

But if I'm totally honest with myself and the rest of you, I enjoy my Nano a lot more. I can help but agree with Shigzeo's comment on the first page of this thread in which he comments "I am not convinced that there is a cheap option which is universally better than the iPod nano"

For the record I'm using the same Lame encoded 320 kbps MP3's on the Clip+ as I do on the Nano and the same IEM's. To my ears at least, the Nano does sound better.

I'll return to the Clip+ one day, when Rockbox becomes a little more stable, until then, it's going into storage.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #68 of 179
just got a new clip+ today. I loaded some flac albums,and started to listen.
i must say that it sound just the way i expected from all the reviews.
I first checked it with the pk2 and it sounded very nice with them, better than my D2 because it doesn't have that ennoying roll off in the bass. it is ruller flat across the spectrum. the bass is very well defined, and the highs are exactly the way they should be...not too harsh and not rolled off.
after only 5 minutes I could not help myself and plugged my RS1 to it, and it still sound very nice...very nice indeed. let's give it a little "burn in",see if it gets better.
but it is a great buy and great bang for the buck player.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #69 of 179
In the bang for your buck ratio it's almost unbeatable unless you want a screen for more than menu communications. I like my important gear to be simple, so the Clip + is good for its purpose as a DAP.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #70 of 179
do you guys use flacs or mp3 with the clip? the only thing that will get me use mp3 320 is battery life,but that means i have to start converting my flac library to mp3. will it be worth it?
how much will the battery benefit from this?

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #71 of 179
Both, some music I prefer to listen to in FLAC like 'Tubular Bells 1973,' both parts or 'Blues For The Red Sun' by Kyuss.

Battery life, it's O.K. but compared to my phone it's not much. It's good enough for the day and larger music files affect battery life (even according to the manual if I'm correct) but by what margin I'm not sure.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #72 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you guys use flacs or mp3 with the clip? the only thing that will get me use mp3 320 is battery life,but that means i have to start converting my flac library to mp3. will it be worth it?
how much will the battery benefit from this?

Depending on your audio program you should be able to convert higher bitrate files as they upload onto your player. With J River Media Center you have the option to keep the cache or delete it.
I convert all my FLAC files to -v0 LAME encoded mp3 for my DAP. I don't feel it necessary to have high bitrate files for portable listening. I CAN hear a difference between FLAC and lower bitrate mp3's (256 - 320kbps) but the difference is so tiny I'd much prefer to have more music with me on the go. The extra battery life is an extra plus alongside having more music.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #73 of 179
the clip+ and the pk2 are excellent together, with the RS1 the sound has a tiny tiny tiny peak somwhere in the treble zone that i can't detect,but the sound is ok overall. with the pk2 the sound is really on the spot.
it really puts out the flaws in bad recordings...much more than other players i heard.
i will stick with flac for now,hoping that driving my 16ohm pk2 will not drain the battery too fast.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #74 of 179
Hello everyone!

My two cents ... I own a Sansa Fuze almost a year ago and recently bought a Nationite S:Flo2 and, in my opinion, each has its advantages and disadvantages and it is impossible to say which one is better than another.

I love my Sansa Fuze. As a user says, the Sansa Fuze has a "hot" sound and at the same time detailed and transparent, which is incredible. In my opinion, this player works very well with balanced armature headphones, because of their clarity and detail. His lack of power does not create major problems for these headphones with low impedance and high sensitivity, but on some occasions, their sound is "thin". I see no problems with the bass, which is extended and detailed. Very fast and dry. Overall, I classify the sound of the Sansa Fuze as sophisticated, dry, fast, detailed, clear and with wide soundstage. Your biggest problem really is the lack of power. Their sound could be more full bodied.

Already, the Nationite S: Flo2 has a realy "hot" sound and all his power does not mean higher quality sound. In terms of clarity and detail, he loses for the Sansa Fuze. Moreover, their sound pretty full (maybe fat ...) causes the music to be appreciated, unlike the Sansa Fuze, you find yourself analyzing what they're listening ... This device comes out better with high impedance headphones, directed to the "bright" side of the sound. In my case, the Nationite S:Flo2 worked extremely well with my Yuin PK3 and Philips SBCHP1000, both "bright" phones, with great soundstage and not so detailed.

In the end, I'll stay with the two devices. The Sansa Fuze for portability and great synergy with my Shure SE530 and Nationite S: Flo2 for high output power, which works best with high impedance headphones, even using the HO and without the use of portable amplifiers.

Cheers,

Peter

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #75 of 179
I agree with Shig. My Clip V1 sounded very grainy to me, even with great recordings. This was using my Denon C700. The Clip died before my UE10 Pros came. I am unsure whether it would have sounded better with a BA then a dynamic.

I am not nearly as sensitive to hiss as Shig is though and find my Sony A818 to be worlds better in the reselution and clarity aspect. That grainy feeling just got under my skin to the point where I couldn't listen to the Clip (somehow it died in my drawer not being used).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back