Clip-on cans for a friend under 50$
Jun 26, 2006 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
I know what you are going to say...
Buy the Koss Ksc75 and keep the change...
But here is the thing: I have both KSC 35 and 75.
I let him listen to both for a couple of days, and he didn't like them.
He has Creative zen Touch Sleek, and it dosen't push them as good as other sources do, and I listened for them myself hooked up to his source, and he is right. they sound anemic, not as good as they usually do.

So I need low impedence with high efficiency Clip On (only) cans that cost less than 50$, which are the best ?

I thought about some sony CLip-On but I never heared them.
There is a new sennheisr CLip On can, from the new stylish series.

I am opened to offeres and advices.

Thanks guys
icon10.gif

P.S, Right now I am at Cincinnati Ohio, if anyone knows a good store around here I'll be glad to hear about it.
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 12
My past experiences with Sony clip-on's were just dreadful. Really, really, not very pleasant at all. Things might have changed since then... but I haven't heard anything of that form factor that can match the 35/75's.

You could always just get a PA2v2 or used Go-Vibe...
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 12
the sony mdr q22 sound very similar to the ksc75
i used them for two years before i joined headfi

in comparison, the q22 don't fit as nicely because they used a spring, not a stationary, bendable clip...they make your ears look really big

as for sound, they are harsher and not as smooth...plus, you can change the cap colors or remove the cap to show off the shiney plastic part

Jun 26, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
My past experiences with Sony clip-on's were just dreadful. Really, really, not very pleasant at all. Things might have changed since then... but I haven't heard anything of that form factor that can match the 35/75's.

biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Thanks for the tip, its actually what I was thinking...
About the amp, its not even considerable, It's not for me, I repeat, for a friend
eek.gif

Any more suggestions ?
what important is, that the Can will have low impedence and high efficiency.

Jun 26, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337

biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Thanks for the tip, its actually what I was thinking...
About the amp, its not even considerable, It's not for me, I repeat, for a friend
eek.gif

Any more suggestions ?
what important is, that the Can will have low impedence and high efficiency.

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 12
I had a pair of sony clip ons for about 4 years before Head-Fi. Soundwise they were definately worse then the KSC75, but comfort wise they were much better. I could wear those for hours at a time and felt okay.

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow
eek.gif

Yeah, I know. But hey, maybe you can convince your friend to get an amp. Stranger things have happened.
tongue.gif

Otherwise, are you (i.e. is your friend) willing to think about IEMs? That's a good bet in the high efficiency department.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 12
The Koss KSC series are the only clip-ons I've heard of personally that actually sounds good. Sony clip-ons just sound bad. You might as well recommend him to get a nice and cheap amp such as the PA2V2, which pairs up very nicely with KSC75s.
Or like what angler said, he might just as well get a pair of IEMs, or semi-canals, such as the Creative or Sennheiser ones.

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 12
Oh c'mon, I would hardly expect that most normal people would jump at the chance to bulk up their portable rig with a headphone amp. We're talking about the KSC-75, here, is it really worth the hassle of amping it if it can't be powered by the guy's portable player?

I'll throw in Audio Technica's offerings. One that caught my eye a while back is the Audio Techica ATH-EZ5CX. There's a nice review of it here: http://headphonereviews.org/headphon...eadphoneId=111

I've never heard them myself, but I would imagine them being better than the standard Sony alternatives. Unfortunetly I can't find them at Audiocubes or Bluetin, but they do have other AT clip-ons that might suit well (though they all push that $50 limit.) The EM5 at Bluetin would barely nudge within the price range, but man do those EM7's look cool.

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=electronics

Ding! $50+shipping from J&R for the EM7. Sounds good to me.

Jun 26, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
We're talking about the KSC-75, here, is it really worth the hassle of amping it if it can't be powered by the guy's portable player?

Yes.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
Oh c'mon, I would hardly expect that most normal people would jump at the chance to bulk up their portable rig with a headphone amp. We're talking about the KSC-75, here, is it really worth the hassle of amping it if it can't be powered by the guy's portable player?

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=electronics

Ding! $50+shipping from J&R for the EM7. Sounds good to me.

I'll have to agree on that one... the amp is not for everybody.

hamm, those AT Em7 looks nice
eggosmile.gif
, how good are they sonic wise ?
And how comfort are they ?

Thanks..

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #12 of 12
OK, I guess what the Heck.
Ordered them today,I will audition them a bit, before I will pass them on to my friend. I will try to make a little impression of it, compared to the KSC 35&75 that I have with me(out of my X5L), and see how my PA2v2 makes the sound of this can change
eggosmile.gif

Disiskurt
Thanks for enlighten me
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back