Clip+ Equalizer, Good or Bad
May 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mrbrad

100+ Head-Fier
I have seen the quality of the Clip EQ referenced in a variety of places, but not spiked out as a thread. I have a couple of earphones that could benefit from some bass boost and I don't want to get a DAP that distorts when using the EQ. I have read and experienced distortion from and iPod. I am thinking of getting a Clip+ and would like to know your experiences with the EQ.

Thanks. Brad.

May 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 9
The Clip+'s EQ is decent, not great.  It's just a 5 band EQ, not as many options as say the Cowon S9.  But this is really only an issue if you have headphones that really need the EQ.  My IE8, for example, are already pretty hefty in the low and mid bass so I just leave those flat.  Since the Clip+ is somewhat light on the bass by default, it ends up balancing out.

You can also Rockbox it for more EQ options, but I don't know much about that. 

May 5, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 9
The Clip+ EQ is better than it was on the Fuze and original Clip, from what I recall about them, but it's not very good. If you are using 'phones that only need a little bit of a tweak it will do the job, but it's no Sony, Samsung, or Cowon EQ, that's for sure.
L3000.gif

May 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 9
May 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 9
I'd just leave the player's eq flat and add an eq before encoding your songs for the portable player (for example to mp3, but it would also work with flac of course). Quick and easy to do in foobar which allows you to mange your own conversion profiles including chained DSPs.

May 7, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I'd just leave the player's eq flat and add an eq before encoding your songs for the portable player...

This method doesn't work if the goal of equalizing is adapting the frequency response to several different headphones – which is the situation I am in. On the other hand I have crossfeeded my entire music collection in a quite laborious process. Now I have my own crossfeed implementation at home and on the go.

May 7, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 9
True, with multiple headphones you're a bit out of luck with preprocessing.
Of course my portable conversion profile also includes a crossfeed. 
wink_face.gif

May 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back