Clip+ battery sucks
Feb 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
I've been noticing once my Clip+ gets to about a quarter full it drops to zero within a half hour or so.  I'm about ready to smash it because I forget to charge it (who would think 1/4 battery wouldn't last more than that) and it dies in the middle of my workout.  Is this a common issue?  I haven't had it that long.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 34
Install Rockbox... Gain some battery life, better settings and overall better feel. :)

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 34
The voltage vs. time curve is fairly linear down to about 3.65V, at which point the voltage starts dropping very quickly.
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaClip#Battery_discharge_curve

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 34
Higher quality content makes it worse, if I get 6 hours of battery life the Clip + is already functioning quite well...

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 34
6 hours? horrible.If i listen to gym and at the bus this means that every 3 days i have to plug it on usb....it is very restrictive 365/3=121days to charge the clip+

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 34
Rockbox will improve all that.....especially if you use FLAC files on it, it will jump from 6-8 hours life up to 15-17 hours life.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 34
playing lossles files actually increases battery stamina?? didnt know that...

ive complained here before that my rockbox clip+ has low battery life. i felt like it drained faster than my clip V1.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 34

Quote:
Rockbox will improve all that.....especially if you use FLAC files on it, it will jump from 6-8 hours life up to 15-17 hours life.

Quote:
playing lossles files actually increases battery stamina?? didnt know that...

ive complained here before that my rockbox clip+ has low battery life. i felt like it drained faster than my clip V1.

The Rockbox FLAC decoder is much more efficient than the SanDisk one. With MP3 files (LAME v2, v0, and 320kbps) I get a little over 14 hours on my Clip+. FLAC and ogg vorbis do better.....http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaRuntime

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 34
come on....the product should behave accordingly to customer needs not the customer according to the products peculiarities....u cannot say the customer encode to flac to have longer battery life...it reminds me th ATRAC of Sony..

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 34
come on....the product should behave accordingly to customer needs not the customer according to the products peculiarities....u cannot say the customer encode to flac to have longer battery life...it reminds me th ATRAC of Sony..

I think many Head-Fi members already encode to lossless such as flac or alac. I certainly do, but I don't use flac on my DAPs, regardless of battery life differences....I'd rather have more music with me. Read through this forum though, a lot of our members insist on lossless files even on their portable players.

So basically, you're overreacting to my info about the flac battery life because you're upset with the performance of a $40 device...if you hate it that much, sell it and move on, instead of whining about it.:p

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 34
i am whining because our topic is the low battery life of sansa not the better battery life on flac encoding....i am whining because in every topic i read we start discussing about eg tha sansa battery life and u end discussing about the ex-girl friend which divorced me because i was snoring at night and she married my best friend whose ex boyfriend used to have sex on the seaside listening flac files on his SANSA clip+

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 34
Well, the Clip+ is a TINY portable device.  It packs a pretty large amount of functionality.  And it's quite inexpensive.  Given that, I wouldn't expect it to utilize exotic battery technology to maximize battery life and minimize weight (though since they're using a Lithium-based battery chemistry, they actually kind of are doing so). 

I would argue that Sandisk thought long and hard about user needs/habits when deciding how much weight/volume/cost to allocate various elements of the Clip+, including the battery.  Not that they developed the product in a bubble, then presented it from on high said "so it shall be." 

My Clip+ is fairly new, I'm running Rockbox firmware, and I use Ogg Vorbis encoding (actually did so for size/quality ratio, independent of any impact on battery life).  I can't say exactly how much battery life I get, since I always charge before it hits 1/4 remaining.  I do know I've gone 12-16 hours, easily.  That means, if I listen to it at my desk half the day at work (which isn't unusual), I may have to recharge every 3 days.  Which I can do by plugging it in overnight.  Heck, I have to charge my cell phone at least that often!  I guess I'm just having a hard time getting outraged over the Clip+ battery life.  :)

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 34
For my listening habits, also outdoors the Clip + is perfect. For more than 8 hours of music, non stop the stock Clip + with FLACs in not suitable without recharging...

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 34
Interesting about RockBox helping battery life...  Can I revert back to stock FW if I don't like it?  I can't remember.

I usually work out about an hour a night and it does last more than a week, I just hate when I think it has enough for another session at half full and it dies on me right before the end.  Nothing worse than doing your last set of squats and the damn music cuts out on you in the middle of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back