Cling wrap-modded Sony MDR-EX90s or unmodded EX700... if I could have only one?
Dec 25, 2009 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BIGHMW

100+ Head-Fier
I am a kind of a pickle here, you see I have been switching back-and-forth between my current pair of Sony Cling wrap-modded MDR-EX90SL IEM's (I own three pairs of them, all genuine Sony Japan product) and my one current pair of MDR-EX700SL IEM's, and I notice that I have to have the volume at 20/30 on my 5mW NW-HD5 with the 90's (106dB) while I can turn it down to 15/30 with the EX700's (108dB) (or even lower depending on whether my master source is remastered or not), but the modded EX90's sound so good and they more noise isolation in them than unmodded ones, yet I hear that burning in the EX700's will increase SQ and bass without having to mod them, is this true?

Naturally it would be one or the other, and as far as having one group of inline remotes to go with the IEM's they would be the heavily-coveted RM-MC40ELK and perhaps the Hi-MD-compatible RM-MC39LT as well. And as far as non-LCD remotes I am caught between the RM-MC21 and the RM-MC60.

So what do you guys think? I know there are owners of these two great IEM's on this site, and I was wondering if I should go ahead and spend another $600.00 on a couple of more pairs of EX700SL from Bluetin Japan (I have dealt with them in the past about both the 3rd pair of EX90SL's and EX85SL's in black for my inline skate gear to go with my matching RM-MC55ELK remote and MZ-RH710 Hi-MD player, and they were great and even shipped it through EMS).

Oh decisions, decisions, decisions. I know that if I go for two more pairs of EX700's it would lighten my wallet significantly, but then again it would also free up a whole bunch of not-used gear to sell right here on Head-Fi to you guys, so I would be able to make some much-needed $$$ for my new AK47 CD, Arrested in Hadlock, that I intend to get back on come the 1st of the new year (one week from tonight).

Thanks,

Ray Jackson
Head-Fi user ID: BIGHMW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back