Clever Little Clock garners its first review!
Jan 27, 2006 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

AlanY

1000+ Head-Fier
Positive Feedback reviews it:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...lock_nespa.htm

Looks like an essential upgrade! (Or not, depending on your opinion of the web rags.)

Though actually, I think one of the more interesting parts of the review is the reviewer's discussion about home "audiophile" audio versus car audio:
"The next disc I tried was one of those finds. It is a band I've admired for a long time in the confines of my car. Most of my serious listening gets done in the car these days since most of my music is of the "not well recorded" variety.
Back in the listening room I popped in my favorite SACD, The Other Side by Godsmack. I literally cringed when Sully Erna began to croon, and I really love his voice. In my car his voice brings tears to my eyes it's so beautiful. In the listening room I was diving for the remote to turn it off."

I always find it interesting that the more people spend on "upgrades" to speakers and gear, the less enjoyable their favorite music often becomes. Sometimes I wonder whether such things are really "upgrades" since they reduce your enjoyment.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 57
It's a damned timex $2.00 gas-station clock with a damned orange sticker on it.

Edit: anyone who buys that thing for $200 needs to re-examine his or her genetic viability for the sake of the gene pool.

Jan 27, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 57
Nuh-uh! I have a room full of them and each one I buy makes the music better exponentially!!!!11one Just like the gigantic rock I have that eliminates electro-magnetic interence and the pop-rocks in my mouth that increase dynamics.

Jan 27, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 57
I give credit to the reviewer for having the balls to recommend such a product. Im sure he will now be the target of ridicule for months to come.

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 57
That was a fun read, thanks for sharing the link. Here's an article by the same author on the general issue of faith and audio and Peter Belt, link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clever Clock website (emphasis added)
(...)The Clever Little Clock does not plug into the wall and has no direct influence on the audio signal -- not on house wiring, audio components, cables, interconnects, power cords or acoustic waves. Yet the Clock has a pronounced affect on the sound of digital and analog playback systems. (...) There will be less distortion, more information and a deep, coherent soundstage with amazing image density. Low frequencies will be articulate, extended and dynamic, high frequencies exceptionally smooth, with great inner detail.

Not sure how I am to understand this but at least they're smart enough to leave out technical explanations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Positive Feedback review
As with other products based on Peter Belt theories, this clock does not so affect the sound, but -and in my experience – how the listener responds to the sound.

My main question is: Is the Clever Clock's merit falsifiable? Since it's - by definition - not measurable using external equipment, probably not. With cables, it's at least an open argument.

Following this line of thought, the clever clock falls into the category 'faith' -- unless the Clever Clock is actually emitting electro-magnetic waves to mess with my brain, which I hope is not the case. It's not science or anything related to it. While there isn't anything inherently wrong with that, by default it becomes an object non grata for any meaningful discussion. Believe it or not. ; )

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 57
You know, I'm thinking that this is probably a spoof. Just thinking out loud...re-read it and see if you don't agree.

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
You know, I'm thinking that this is probably a spoof. Just thinking out loud...re-read it and see if you don't agree.

Could be, but the author also wrote this article Faith and Belief in Audio, which seems to be pretty serious.

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 57
I always try to believe that the human race is indeed marching forward. As such, I've always had this notion that the entire Clever Little Clock thing, the product and reviews, is just a Clever Little Joke. I mean seriously, has anyone ever propositioned to buy this thing?

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

It's obviously a spoof, which will no doubt spoil the fun for certain folks.

P.S. I wonder if everyone who jumped on this thread actually read it?

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

I agree, this has got to be a joke.. if you read the 2nd review, that only supports this theory. No one (in fact no two people since this was reviewed by a couple) could be THAT stupid... could they?
rolleyes.gif

On the other hand, those who take this seriously and find it silly ought to at least try it themselves after giving the clock sufficient break-in time (as you will note in the review, they did allow it to break in, probably to make sure the time did not vary too much between times... breaking in a clock also has the advantage that it tells you how long it has been breaking in).

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
It's obviously a spoof, which will no doubt spoil the fun for certain folks.

P.S. I wonder if everyone who jumped on this thread actually read it?

I've seen similarly worded reviews about things on this forum, actually.

It's hard to tell with self-appointed golden ears "reviewers" in both websites like that and in some magazines; if you can't hear a difference they'll just tell you your hearing's obviously inferior and this clock makes so much difference, how can you miss it, the transients are faster and the bass is deeper, the soundstage more spacious and there's so much more air between the instruments, you must be a tin ears!

Edit: And I don't think it's a joke, for the record; read some of the other reviews, and back-issues. They've got quite a lot of sponsers, as well. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 57
Stop trolling. Have any of you personally heard this tweak or A/B'ed it? If so, I don't see how any of you can comment on its effectiveness.

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Stop trolling. Have any of you personally heard this tweak or A/B'ed it? If so, I don't see how any of you can comment on its effectiveness.

a1064.gif
a1064.gif
a1064.gif
omg seriously. post of the millenium
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back