clearing the PSX audio myth.
Jun 6, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of pointless thread, but I did it to clear this point out. I bought a used minipsx and a psx with RCA lineout from a thrift store to test out it's sound quality with RMAA and some listening. The results are pretty disappointing, but expected.

So it's nothing spectacular, I listened to some music on it through the RCA, it sound very clean and acceptable, but not amazing. The Multi-out of the PSX has a permanent hiss noise, but at very low decibel range, but the RCA line out are clean. Still it's a great gaming system, I'm pretty sure the PS3 is going to sound very good.

Were you using the "1001" variant of the PSX? It has a much better DAC than some of the other variants. Also, you can get a big leap in sound quality by bypassing quite a lot of the onboard circuitry and wiring in your own buffer.

If it was the "1001" variant, I'll buy it from you.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to some music on it through the RCA, it sound very clean and acceptable, but not amazing. The Multi-out of the PSX has a permanent hiss noise, but at very low decibel range, but the RCA line out are clean.

I have a 7000 Series PSX and there is no hiss over my multi-out. But thanks for making a note of this so that I am less likely to buy a PSOne over a PSX.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 20
Sorry to raise old thread, but does anyone have experience with the PSone model SCPH-102?

Is it normal to have very loud hiss/ground noise when there are bright colors on the screen? The hiss isnt always present, just when there are before mentioned colors displayed, especially bright white.

Audio is outputted throught the AV-multiout ofcourse, because there isnt anything else. Connected straight to headphone-amp. There isnt any other problems with the system and havent been in eight years.

Nothing is wrong with the cable either, it works just fine on PS2.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 20
The PSone is not noted for being a good player in stock form, it takes a bit of modding to get it to sound good. the buzzing sounds may be an issue with the connector in the psone, or perhaps its just a symptom of the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back