Clear up some questions I have please about a recent experience
Dec 6, 2009 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lnvisible

100+ Head-Fier
I just came home from a friends house and had to immediately post on Head-Fi Asking some questions about what happened.

My friend borrowed some "gaming" headphones from Tritton from his friend to test them out. It wasn't very good, but I decided to test some music out on it. I went through all my music (mainly hard metal) and it was basically the same result, which was cluttered and muddy.

I then realized that on the cord was somewhat of a mini equalizer. I have never seen one of these before (note that I have NEVER owned a pair of full size cans and have ALWAYS been an IEM guy) but it had adjustment scrolls on it for treble, bass, volume and some more stuff.

I am a HUGE bass fanatic (I want to feel like an earthquake is in my ear due to all the vibration) and I was surprised. I turned all the bass all the way up, the treble a bit down, volume a bit higher, and tried out a live Daft Punk song. Both of the ear piece (or cans, I'm not sure want to call the left and earpiece for full size, sorry) literally was vibrating in my hand. I put the cans on and felt something I have never EVER experienced in an IEM before, noatter how much I tried or how much money I spent, which was a full and constant, yet not overpowering, bass FEEL.

I felt the thumps, the booms, the bass, LITERALLY. It was somewhat eye opening to what full size headphones can actually do, and this might be a turning point for me in my headphone purchases.

So I come here and ask some simple questions (please forgive me, I am not that sure about full size again since I have only dwelt with IEMs):

1. What was that on the cord that adjusted the sound output? Is that what I have seen people call an AMP, cause if I get a pair of cans, I NEED one haha.

2. What are some deep bassy full size phones that do not exceed $200? I know that is a REALLY broad question, but we have to start somewhere, and I'm starting now. I'll guess I'll narrow down the results:

- Usage: Only home (playing drums, possibly some Xbox 360 [if it is ideal in some ways], music [duh])
- Budget: Max $200
- Music genres listened to: 90% Death/hard/screamo metal, 10% techno/house/trance
- Source: Zune 30GB, PC, Xbox 360
- Build: Not sure really how to explain this, but how the ear pieces are built, since I think they differ. I would PREFER completely over
and aroud the ears with a cushy leathery feel

I know this was a really long post, but if you got this far, THANKS SO MUCH for reading it. If there is any other info anyone else needs that could help me in choosing a set of cans, please tell me.

Thanks for reading again.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm not much of a basshead, but I suspect the control on the cord was some type of equalizer. You can find any number of graphic equalizers out there at various prices. Put one in your rig and adjust the bass to your liking. The problem with equalization is that it throws off the tonal balance, amon other things. But if you don't mind that, go ahead and use one.

I'm sure others will be along to suggest headphones.

One last thing - be good to your ears. Cranked bass right against your eardrum can cause permanent damage. Be careful. If you damage your hearing, you won't be able to enjoy music.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks Erik, but let me correct you a bit, and myself. It was not a normal equalizer, it was different. It may have been labeled this way (wrongly, haha) but it actually changed the volume of the sound channels. When you put up the bass, it didn't actually increase the volume and impact if it, it merely increased the channel volume that the bass guitar and bass pedal was recorded in.

So if I wanted to, I could turn all the channels down to where I could ONLY hear the bass guitar. If anyone has inputted multitracks (.mogg) into Audacity or anything like that, you would know there is about 15 separate tracks all devoted to each individual instrument. You can also increase the dB of the track and mute it if you want, so you can listen to instrumentals or acapellas if you want.

Well that is EXACTLY what this thing was on the cord. If anyone knows of what this actually is, please tell me cause I really want one.

Any headphone recommendations?

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 8
If I am not mistaken, you're talking about the AXPROs or AX720s, which both have 5.1 Dolby decoding... I believe they both have in-line controls for the 5 channels + bass.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 8
HD 25-1, Sennheiser

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thammuz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I am not mistaken, you're talking about the AXPROs or AX720s, which both have 5.1 Dolby decoding... I believe they both have in-line controls for the 5 channels + bass.

That's what it was, the AXPROs!

That is exactly want I want for my rig though. Somewhat of a 5-channel and bass adjuster and equalizer (you know what I mean?).

Is there anything like that out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back