Clear sounding on-ear headphones for under $60?
Oct 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

onlyw

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

I've been looking around for some new headphones, but I don't exactly have hundreds to drop on audiophile-grade equipment.  I'm looking for some decent on-ear headphones for under $60 USD, ideally not too bass heavy.  For the past few years I've used some Panasonic RP-HT21s which are okay (apparently, ok as you can get for a $5 to $10 pair of headphones), but I would like to see if I could get something like that in sound, but better.

I'd like to get something on-ear, preferably open.  This will be for personal listening in my room, so I'm not really worried about leakage/isolation.  I'm not exactly familiar with audiophile terminology, but from the closed phones that I was able to try I found them to be somewhat "muffled" sounding in comparison to my own.  Maybe those particular models weren't good phones? Or maybe I'm just too used to the Panasonics? Who knows.

My friend had some Sennheiser PX-100s which I tried awhile back that I rather liked. They seemed pretty clear, if a bit too much on the bass side for my taste.  I looked around and found, to my dismay, that the PX-100s aren't available except on eBay, but the PX-100 ii is available.  I checked around for some comparisons, and there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on whether or not the PX-100 ii is better than the original.  Additionally, it may be even more bass heavy than the original, which kind of concerns me.

I've looked at the Koss PortaPros, which are open and fairly inexpensive and open but those have also been described as being on the bassy side.

TL;DR: I'd like to find an open, clear-sounding non-basshead set of headphones.  Ideally, something similar to the RP-HT21, but I'm not sure how many here are familiar with that set.  I apologize if my descriptions aren't the best. I'm not exactly the most familiar with terminology like "warm," "articulate," "bright," or anything like that.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 7
JVC-HA-S400, $35, they are a closed on-ear headphone
Or HA-S500, $60

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 7
The S400s seem interesting, and I like that they're foldable.  I took a quick look around, and they seem to have gotten a lot of good reviews. I may just try these.

Quick question:  is it just me, or is there some sort of difference in sound between open and closed headphones, particularly in the clarity and (for lack of a better way to put it) "punchiness" of vocals and sounds in the upper-mid to high end?  Admittedly, I haven't had many opportunities to try out closed headphones (on-ear or over-ear), so the ones I tried may not have been great, but they seemed to be a bit muffled and lack the sort of "kick" that I've noticed with the PX-100 and RP-HT21. Sorry if I can't describe it better.

However, if the S400s are as good as the reviews make them out to be, I may just have to give them a try.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 7
http://www.amazon.com/Jays-Sweden-T00084-Ultra-Portable-Heavy-Bass/dp/B0072V72DI

This should fit into your taste..V-Jays...stylish swedish design.
. ( btw, its not in anyway heavy bass as described on the link ok..its clear, balanced, on ear..
if u wan slightly bigger cups, than the C-jays

==========

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0001ARCFA/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

akg k240..this should get u a good start into the sound of AKG :p 

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 7
I must say, I'm quite impressed with the S400s.  Very balanced and clear sounding.  I dunno if the "Carbon Nanotube" thing is just some marketing gimmick, but these headphones sound better than I expected for their price. Thanks, everyone!

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 7
  I must say, I'm quite impressed with the S400s.  Very balanced and clear sounding.  I dunno if the "Carbon Nanotube" thing is just some marketing gimmick, but these headphones sound better than I expected for their price. Thanks, everyone!

I'm guessing the Carbon Nanotube is coated (thinly) on to the diaphragm,
on the surface that faces your ear (the part that counts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back