Cleaning Your Earbuds
Nov 27, 2008 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cactus

New Head-Fier
I've done some searching around the forum and haven't come up with any solid results for this... but...

What's the best way to clean my ear buds? I've been noticing a fair amount of residual ear wax building up which makes it harder (initially) to get my ear buds in (I have a pair of SE530's). On top of that, with all the ear wax, they will very slowly and gradually fall out of my ear canal.

Ideas?

After dropping some serious coin on these babies, the last thing I want to do is damage them in anyway.

Nov 27, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 9
I assume you mean eartips, not earbuds.

Read my IEM guide, under section [Cleaning and maintaining your IEM and eartips]. The link is in my signature, or you can find it as a sticky on this sub-forum.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Someone told me that Witch hazel extract is particularly effective at dissolving ear wax so may well work well here, I think I need to buy some from the local chemist and try it on my Shure Olives.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 9
Witch hazel extract usually contains alcohol (which is why it can dissolve oily compound) and that will harden your foam tips.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 9
I think I'm going to try some eyeglass spray cleaner on a tissue, it's mostly water with some surfectant (mild soap). Check the bottle of witch hazel, it's not hard to find 100% pure product. That's a good choice too I think.

What horrible thing happens if you use alcohol? That's what I've used on my SuperFi.3's ... I realize the manufacturers say not to, but I'm wondering what happens if you do. I mean, real life observations.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What horrible thing happens if you use alcohol? That's what I've used on my SuperFi.3's ... I realize the manufacturers say not to, but I'm wondering what happens if you do. I mean, real life observations.

You would probably be fine as long as you are limiting the contacting surface to hard plastic parts. Plastic agents in the cable and foam will react with alcohol in a way (mostly just the alcohol dissolves them out from the soft rubber) that will cause them to lose their elasticity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back