Cleaning Tri-Flange Tips
Jul 9, 2004 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

morpheus5885

New Head-Fier
Just wondering what you guys would reccoment for cleaning these tips. I've just been using soap and water when they start to get a bit golden. The shure manual for my e5's says to sterilize these often. Is this really necessary, and if it is how would I go about doing that?

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 18
Well, I just throw them in a bottle with some laundry detergent "Tide with Bleach" and some hot water. Shake it for a while and leave it for 3 days and they are good as new
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 18
I just use some anti-bacterial sop and hot water. After soaking them for about 20-30 minutes I pull them out, rinse them, and dry them off. They look brand new after that.

Also, make sure to squeeze the end of the tip that actually goes into your ear. That is where the wax builds up, and with the hot water and soap it comes right out. Nasty, but it works and preserves the tips so that they don't clog up the filters.

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 18
With my Ety 4s I usually just use soap and water. Every so often when I'm feeling saucy, I'll throw them in hydrogen peroxide or alcohol. I can't say that the alcohol seems to do much but the hydrogen peroxide seems to clean them pretty well...

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 18
I just use soap with hot water. I'll let the soap settle for a while before washing it off with hot water.

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 18
anti-bacterial soap and warm water, then air dry for sanitary cleaning. I just recently tried soaking them in oxyclean (http://www.oxicleanpro.com/oxiclean.html) for about an hour to renew the whiteness - got them whiter but not brilliant white like another new set I have - better than nothing. I might try the tide with bleach approach too to get them whiter.

Jul 9, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 18
Are you supposed to remove the tri-flanges from the etys before soaking?

Jul 9, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion

Erm, I'm not entirely sure, but I think it would probably be a good idea...

tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

i don't know, but if you want to burn in your new ety's quickly, try boiling them.

wink.gif

Jul 10, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i don't know, but if you want to burn in your new ety's quickly, try boiling them.

AFAIK, boiling doesn't constitute burning. But you could always clean your ety tips with a flamethrower - guaranteed to get all the dirt, grime, and bacteria off.

biggrin.gif

Sorry guys, I've been in an exceptionally silly mood today.

Jul 10, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 18
Hi,

The only way to appreciate ety's is to turn up the volume to a such a level that after 10 minutes your ears bleed.

My problem is that the tri-flanges go black with encrusted blood after every session and I have a lot of trouble getting them clean.

However, if I don't clean them I get a better seal.

Any suggestions as to how to get them clean again.

John

PS LOL

Jul 10, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
My problem is that the tri-flanges go black with encrusted blood after every session and I have a lot of trouble getting them clean.

I'm sure you have quite a bit of difficulty getting them out of your ears in the first place...

Jul 10, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 18
I guess I'm the only one who used to just clean the wax off the white tips with my fingers and then wipe the 'catch of the day' on my shirt. Normally, I'd take extra care to make sure that I wiped the ear wax off on the opposite side of my shirt from where the buggers went. And speaking of buggers, am I the only one that noticed the Ety's are particularly microphonic when you're digging for a bugger?
eek.gif

Nah, just kidding... soap and water. Not a lot of brain action there. If they start to become a little deformed, toss them out and move on the the next pair. They're only about $10-$15 for 5 sets.

Jul 10, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I guess I'm the only one who used to just clean the wax off the white tips with my fingers and then wipe the 'catch of the day' on my shirt. Normally, I'd take extra care to make sure that I wiped the ear wax off on the opposite side of my shirt from where the buggers went.

#1... I thought you were serious... only because I'd probably be the type of person to actually get a kick out of the earwax catch of the day...

#2... I believe it's spelled "booger"

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Only if you want them to work after their bath...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back