Cleaning IEM's? (Gross Pic Included)
Jan 15, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 40
Hi all. It is most important to not push debris further up the driver tubing. We ship a little wire wax loop with every order which should work fine on anyone's custom in-ear set. I'll be happy to send anybody a complimentary one if you private message me with your mailing address. Another useful measure is to de-humidify your in-ears regularly. Scrounge around for some packets of silica crystals and keep them in your storage cases. You will increase the lifespan of your in-ear investment significantly by removing moisture when not in use.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #20 of 40
The silica bags can be found in almost any shoebox, when you buy a pair of shoes, and they do say "do not eat"...

I store my IEMs in a Cigar humidifier (with dry wood of course) and I suspect that the dry untreated cedar wood pulls the moist rigth out of the phones..I will be putting a bag of silica in it just to make sure...

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #21 of 40
Firstly, no warning could have prepared me for that picture. I guess I clicked out a sense of morbid fascination.

Anyway, I would mostly be concerned about pushing it in further and I would try to vibrate them out as much as possible. Hold them facing down and try to flick them out. Alternatively find an electric toothbrush or shaver and touch it to the phones and try to at least get them to a more shallow position.

I would do that before inserting anything that could push the debris in further. Just be careful.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #23 of 40
there is no pressure relief hole so you can't suck them out. you can suck snot out of a choking baby's nose though
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is no pressure relief hole so you can't suck them out. you can suck snot out of a choking baby's nose though
biggrin.gif

Oh *** man!
rolleyes.gif

And x3 on the cleaning the wax out of your ears. There's many threads on how to do that. I use Q-tips but I'm careful with them. Apparently some people shove the wax in farther with them. I guess they lack common sense. Don't use Q-tips unless you take a shower first and let the hot water moisten your ears.

What surprises me the most is that the Livewires don't have a filter in there to block the wax.... bad design, methinks.

And Ernie, if you ever buy a pair of universal fit IEMs and don't like them, don't expect to sell them on Head-Fi now that everyone knows you're a wax monster.
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #26 of 40
I'd just like to take this opportunity to remind you all that a 5% solution of hydrogen peroxide - available from any pharmacy for almost nothing - completely dissolves earwax in very short order, and will not harm the silicone or other plastics used to make the in-ear.

Probably a bad idea to get it on the armature drivers, if they're exposed at all, but it won't harm silicone or other synthetics in any time delta measured in less than decades.

So, for example, you could dip the tip of a toothpick in peroxide and use that to swab at the buildup. Or say take a knife to a paper-stick type cotton swab and give it a sharpened end.

Peroxide is also great for cleaning flanges. Returns them to their as-new color, too. And it's utter death on germs.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all. It is most important to not push debris further up the driver tubing. We ship a little wire wax loop with every order which should work fine on anyone's custom in-ear set. I'll be happy to send anybody a complimentary one if you private message me with your mailing address. Another useful measure is to de-humidify your in-ears regularly. Scrounge around for some packets of silica crystals and keep them in your storage cases. You will increase the lifespan of your in-ear investment significantly by removing moisture when not in use.

Maybe you can include a few packets of silica crystals with future LiveWires.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, John, while you're here, do you know of any plans to introduce triple-driver LiveWires in the future?
biggrin.gif
There's a lot of potential since many early Westone 3 customers are losing patience due to delays.

Perhaps instead of the Knowles ED series, the TWFK series (world's smallest dual balanced armature speaker) can be used to achieve the 3-driver design.

That, coupled with all of the other positives of LiveWires (including an incredible price) will attract even more attention for your company.

Please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #30 of 40
For some reason, I was expecting some crazy ear wax pouring out all over the place... Glad that wasn't the case, but sorry to say I don't know how one would get it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back