Classical
May 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
If that's aimed at me, that wasn't my point. Sure, you're going to get to Beethoven ... you're going to get to Bach ... but if the thing turning you on is Debussy's harmonies, then Beethoven isn't going to sound like that. So if o/p wants to hear more of what he likes, then it's better to track forward than back. To vary your analogy, telling someone to listen to Beethoven because they like Debussy is a little bit like telling someone who likes Paul's letter to the Corinthians to go read Genesis in the original Hebrew.

ha ha I like it
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #19 of 24
If you liked Grieg, you'll most likely enjoy Sibelius (Valse Triste,Violin Concerto). For the concerto, I recommend Hillary Hahn on the violin.
If you liked Debussy, you will like Ravel, who was also from the impressionist "school" (Daphnis and Chloe, Bolero, Pavane pour une Enfante Defunte).
When I started listening to classical, I also started with such composers. Then I got into other schools like Modern (Stravinsky, Berg, Webern), then Baroque (Bach, Vivaldi), Classical (Mozart...) then Romantic (from Beethoven to Brahms and Liszt and  a late romantic like Mahler).

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #20 of 24
Also, remember that classical is a bit different in format than jazz or rock/pop.  Phrases tend to only repeat over long spans, and there's a lot of transitions between keys and motifs, so patience is required, as is listening to a piece several times before you might "get it".  And for goodness sake, listen to classical LOUD!

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #22 of 24
I know the big time classical listeners will scream at me for suggesting this, but you can get a lot of good classical stuff with the X5 Music Groups "99 Best of" releases on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1307276969/ref=sr_shvl_1-all?ie=UTF8&keywords=x5%20music%20group&rh=n%3A163856011%2Cn%3A!624868011%2Ck%3Ax5%20music%20group%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A625150011

I recommend 99 Darkest Pieces, 99 Essential Spring Classics, 99 Essential Christmas, 99 Essential Summer

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 24
Those sorts of bleeding chunks collections are good for identifying pieces you don't know the name of, but I can't imagine sitting down and listening to it. Hopefully, the tags list the composer's name. Without that, it's worthless.

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #24 of 24
A great way to deepen your appreciation for classical music is to Netflix Leonard Bernstein's sets of Young People's Concerts and his appearances on Omnibus. Bernstein was a great teacher, and even though the YPC programs were for children, he didn't talk down to them at all. Lots of great insights and help with the terminology and history of classical music.

Interesting to compare attention spans to today.

The Bernstein lessons are fascinating. (YouTube).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back