Classical music: works that collect themselves
Dec 8, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I also have at least 25 versions of every mahler symphony.....In the case of the 9th, I believe I have ever recorded version..

Coincidence or relation?

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #19 of 22
I have so many versions of Bach's, Mozart and Beethoven's works its crazy. When it comes to Bach, I am a fan collector of different variations of the same piece, whether it is played with synthesizer of the ukulele, or a Jazzy version, I just can't get enough.
I had several versions of Handel's Messiah at one time but gave them all away with the exception of my favorite.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
neither a coincidence nor relation...Mahler is my musical focus, so I go by the name David Mahler online, but thats not my real last name

Of course ... so, do you want to collect recordings of me hitting my head and saying "stupid Larry"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Handel's Messiah at one time but gave them all away with the exception of my favorite.

which is? and is it Dublin or later version?

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #21 of 22
Dec 10, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love this version:
Amazon.com: Händel: Messiah: Robert Hale, Timothy Mason, George Frederick Handel, John Eliot Gardiner, Charles Brett, English Baroque Soloists, Alastair Ross, Catherine Robbin, Margaret Marshall, Anthony Rolfe Johnson: Music
And if you go to London, the British Library has (had it when I saw them 3 yrs ago) the original partitura the soloists used in the Dublin debut, along with the music partitura signed by Handel himself.

Thanks! The reviews are great on Ammy too, I think I will pick it up.

I've never made it to the British Library ... need to add this to my "things to do list" !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back