Classical Music Recommendations Please?
Jan 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jc222284

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I recently listen to the LOTR Fellowship of the ring soundtrack and I am I love with the whole entire album. Know I was wondering could anyone recommend me some more classical music that sounds similar to the LOTR album? My 2 fav. tracks are Concerning Hobbits and Many meetings

Thanks,

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 24
Bump. I'd also be interested in an answer to this question, as I like all of the Lord of the Rings filmscore myself. Personally, the only classical song that I think is as good for me is "Miserere"

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Bump. I'd also be interested in an answer to this question, as I like all of the Lord of the Rings filmscore myself. Personally, the only classical song that I think is as good for me is "Miserere"

I really like this one.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 24
How is Sibelius anything like the LOTR soundtrack?!

My advice for the poster is instead of looking for an apple that sounds like an orange, do a little investigation of classical music at YouTube and identify composers that interest you. Then come and ask for a recommendation. Start with the usual suspects... Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Stravinsky, Wagner, Schubert, Chopin, etc.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 24

How is Sibelius anything like the LOTR soundtrack?!

Well, I think if you view the sound track as a whole, you might could make a case for Sibelius, some of the tone poems, maybe Kullervo, possibly the 4th symphony. Maybe. 

My 2 fav. tracks are Concerning Hobbits and Many meetings

However, I went back and listened to the two tracks you mentioned. I can see how the, kinda, how the Allegri, might relate, though that's out range of what I listen to (not so strict, but I don't listen to much written before about 1800). So give me an idea if I'm on the right track with what you're looking for. Meeting with the Hobbits made me think of Malcolm Arnold's Scottish dances, particularly the 3rd movement. I'm including the 2nd, well because it's my favorite. I know you should do this, but if you want a visual for it, imagine a Scottish pub, people drinking and dancing, then the bassoon has obviously had a bit too much, and comes lurching in with the theme at half the speed, stumbling about, but having a great time. 

3rd Movement: 

2nd Movement with apologies, I couldn't find a version I came close to liking.  This dude takes it faster than I like and the sound quality totally sucks: 

I'm also kinda of thinking Vaughan Williams, Bax, Debussy, Rangstrom all might have some pieces you might like.  But I'll need to go back and listen and think some more.  

Completely aside, but if you haven't heard the soundtrack from Mists of Avalon, you might give it a shot.  Not classical, but you might enjoy it.  

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 24
Here's a slightly different road to go down. Look at Howard Shore's other soundtracks. Or see who created the specific songs you liked and see what other music they've written. Lumping classical and soundtracks into one category is going to leave you with a huge field of music.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 24
Skyrim soundtrack!
My favorite.Soundtrack.Ever.
Jeremy Soule is a genius.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 24
Jan 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 24
Funny, I never even noticed the soundtrack in Skyrim. I will listen more closely now.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 24
Funny, I never even noticed the soundtrack in Skyrim. I will listen more closely now.

LOL, probably because of the already awesomeness that the game is, not really focusing on the soundtrack!

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 24
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm also looking for some recommendations.

I'm very fond of Yuki Kajiura's work, as well as Locatelli, and Phillip Glass. I'm looking to find anything similar to:

Yuki Kajiura's classsical-inspired work, Locatelli's virtuoso violin compositions, or Phillip Glass's simplistic, energetic concertos. Solo violin, and Solo cello are also loves of mine, with an emphasis on virtuosos. preferably very fast, technical players.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 24
For the OP check out Gustav Holt's The Planets.  The first movement, Mars the Bringer of War in fact sounds like it would be a song played during a vast battle scene.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 24
Mars exactly sounds like Star Wars. Holst is a bum for ripping off John Williams!

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 24
I'm interested in getting in to more music similar to Pietro Locatelli. I love Opus 3, and 4.

I'm looking for concerto music, preferrably with very techincally proficient virtuosos, and harpsichord accompanyment.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back