Classical music recommendations for newbie
Aug 2, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 38
If you're interested in the violin, try the Bruch, Sibelius, and Mendelssohn concertos. They are all great energetic show-pieces. 

@sordel: As a violist (err, former violist, I guess) I have to thank you for bringing some viola love to the conversation 
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #17 of 38
More eprops for the viola. Kim Kashkashian in particular is fantastic, almost everything she does she pulls off great. I'm a particular fan of the Elegies album, especially the Vaughan Williams and the Kodaly.

More excellent and relatively easy to get into chamber pieces:
Beethoven: Razumovsky quartets (Takacs Quartet, Alban Berg Quartet are both good)
Brahms: Piano Trios (Suk/Katchen/Starker or the Isaac Stern trio), Violin Sonatas (Suk/Katchen), basically almost all Brahms chamber music (there is an excellent box set by the Amadeus Quartet of Brahms chamber music)
Schubert: String quartets No. 13-15 (Alban Berg Quartet are heads and shoulders above the pack in these, imo)
Franck: Violin Sonata (many good ones, no particular favorite in my mind)
Rachmaninov: Cello Sonata (Isserlis/Hough is my favorite, but I haven't heard too many of these)

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #18 of 38
Also if the op is after piano, violin pieces they've heard on tv then no doubt he will have heard this

Part's beautiful "Spiegel im Spiegel" played here in all versions for piano, violin and cello. Everyone should have this in their collection.  Unashamedly Beautiful!

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #19 of 38
If you want to buy on-line (downloadable in FLAC), this from HD Tracks

Title:  TCHAIKOVSKY: Violin Concerto / Souvenir d'un lieu cher / Serenade melancolique / Valse - Scherzo 
Artist:  Julia Fischer | Yakov Kreizberg | Russian National Orchestra 
Genre:  Classical / Romantic 
Label:  PentaTone Classics 
Release Date:  2006

Link is here - https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=827949009563

Also available in audiophile 88/24 - but unless you have the gear to appreciate it (I don't), the straight 16/44 redbook version I linked to is fine.  It's a really wonderful violin concerto.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #20 of 38
Gotta love Tchaikovsky. I really like the intensity that most Russian composers put in their music.

Also, the op is on satellite Internet overseas... I don't think he wants to be downloading flac files :p

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 38
Missed that part - thanks.

Album is worth getting though and should be available on Amazon.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #22 of 38
I agree with Erik about the NPR guide.  It came in handy for me a while back.

5 CDs that I think should be in your collection:

^I think this is the gold standard of the most well known piece of music ever written.  Very few would disagree.

^This is an extremely well recorded and well played Goldberg which is arguably the greatest set of variations..... Bach's greatest work for keyboard alongside the WTC

^The 2 Brahms Piano Concertos are probably in the 5 best ever written, especially the 2nd which is in my humble opinion the greatest piano work of all time.  Gilels is a great proponent of these works.

^A fantastic recording..... I use this as a reference.  Wonderfully played as well.

Mehta's Mahler 2 is the most exciting even to this day........ Mahler is me faves:)

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #23 of 38
I love the 11 cd collection by Maxim Vengerov. He is a fantastic violinist and this collection includes many famous concertos for violin and orchestra as well as some sonatas and other virtuosic type pieces.... and it looks like its going for just $27 on Alibris!

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #26 of 38
Aug 6, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #27 of 38

Quote:

Really enjoyed going through these, especially the Schumann, some great recommendations.   

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 38
This CD has some of the most beautiful violin showpieces ever and I always enjoy the quality of Naxos recordings. Really recommended:

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 38
start here:

at spotify:
Various Artists – Classical Music In Movies
at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Music-In-Movies/dp/B00265ZI86/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312672860&sr=301-1

at spotify:
Various Artists – This Is Classical - The Universe's Best Easy Listening Album Of All Time
at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/This-Classical-Universes-Listening-Album/dp/B000QR05HK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312672635&sr=8-1

The 99 Most Essential Classical Pieces in Movies
at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Most-Essential-Classical-Pieces-Movies/dp/B004H0OGSG/ref=sr_shvl_album_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312672860&sr=301-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back