Classical Music question
Oct 14, 2006 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DeadByDawn

Head-Fier
Hello head-fi'ers,

I want to find a high quality CD of classical music to listen to and run through my senn HD650s. I am looking for more of a clean digital recording than a rustic one. Although, i like to hear those string instruments in good detail.
Probably what people like to use to demo their equipment or burn in.
I love classical music, but dont own any.

Looking for a reccomendation.

Thanks in advance

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 15
If I understand your request, you're looking for something that sounds great on cans (I own the 650s, too) with the music a secondary consideration. The trouble is, "classical" is a huge topic covering at least 400 years of music in every concievable combination.

But, for ones that really let the headphones show off:

1) Elgar, Symphony No. 1 on Telarc with Zinman and Baltimore.
2) Ravel, Mother Goose, etc with Dutoit on London.
3) Beethoven, Symphonies 3 & 8, or 4 & 5 from Vanska on BIS.
4) Dvorak, Wind and String Serenades by Orpheus on DG
5) Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique with Jarvi and Cincinnati on Telarc.

Don't know if you'll like the music, but the sound from these is breathtaking in the realism.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks, that is the direction i was looking for.
I enjoy classical music, just never sure what artists to get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
If I understand your request, you're looking for something that sounds great on cans (I own the 650s, too) with the music a secondary consideration. The trouble is, "classical" is a huge topic covering at least 400 years of music in every concievable combination.

But, for ones that really let the headphones show off:

1) Elgar, Symphony No. 1 on Telarc with Zinman and Baltimore.
2) Ravel, Mother Goose, etc with Dutoit on London.
3) Beethoven, Symphonies 3 & 8, or 4 & 5 from Vanska on BIS.
4) Dvorak, Wind and String Serenades by Orpheus on DG
5) Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique with Jarvi and Cincinnati on Telarc.

Don't know if you'll like the music, but the sound from these is breathtaking in the realism.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 15
Mahler has great transparancy, and will benefit from great audio equiptment. Listen to his symphonies. While they have a lot of brass, you should be able to hear the strings through the brass. That is one thing that classical music headphones must have. The most popular symphony is the second one. Check it out...

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 15
There's an enormous Mahler thread on this site, where the symphonies and recordings have been debated at length. While the Mahler 2nd is quite popular, for headphone listening I would not go there because of the size of the orchestra and choir and organ and soloists. I think it's too much for headphones of any type. But DeadbyDawn is right about Mahler showing off headphones. But I try symphonies 4, 5, 6 or 9 as a start.

For great headphone experience, great sound, and fine performances, again I'd look to Telarc. #s 4, 5, 6 are done extremely well by Yoel Levi and the Atlanta Symphony. For 9 get the Telarc Lopez-CObos/Cincinnati recording. YOu won't regret any of these.

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 15
I would agree that much of the Telarc stable of CD releases possess fine performances with much higher than average sonics.

If you wish to start with one CD that encompasses a neat range of musical offerings, performed by a competent symphonic orchestra with a capable conductor, let me respectfully suggest that you acquire 'Exotic Dances from the Opera', Eji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra on Reference Recordings. This all-orchestral disc has been out for a number of years yet continues to impress, particularly when it is "demo" time and Keith Johnson, the recording engineer, does know his stuff. Actually, the bulk of RR releases are noted for their excellence in sonics, so you may find specific styles and genres of classical music there eventually, which satisfy your preferences.

Another label to explore, btw, would be Harmonia Mundi and their catalog is extensive, offering strong sonics coupled to fine performances.

Good luck.

Oct 15, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 15
Beethoven's "Triple Concerto" is my favorite piece of classical music. My favorite recording of it is Herbert von Karajan's production with the Berlin Philharmonic, featuring Yo Yo Ma. The conducting is more up-tempo than most, and the piece REALLY benefits from it. The frist movement is one I always use in my auditions.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Conc...e=UTF8&s=music

If you like Baroque music, I HIGHLY recommend you listen to the Virtuosi Saxoniae. I own two of their CDs and love both. One is exclusively Pisendel, a favorite composer; the other features a variety of the finest composers' finest music, performed INCREDIBLY well. That second is the one I recommend:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7004317

Enjoy!

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadByDawn

Anyone have any high quality live recordings they can recommend?

Although I haven't received my copy yet, I understand that Eschenbach's recording of the Mahler Symphony no.6 with the Philadelphia Orchestra is superb both in terms of the performance (which is live) and the sound quality (SACD/Hybrid).

Also, the Vänskä Beethoven Symphony No. 9 is hard to beat -- but I believe it's a studio recording.

Another wonderful studio recording of Dvorak is the Prazak Quartet's recording of the Cypresses and String Quartet No. 11.

Oct 16, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 15
Shostakovich - Symphony no. 5 in D Minor

4th movement !

Oct 16, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 15
If you enjoy strings, try Dvorak's Cello Concerto. Just a wonderful piece. I listen to the version with Starker on solo with the London Symphony Orchestra.

Speaking of Dvorak, I've also spent some time listening to his 9th (The New World) conducted by Fischer and performed by the Budapest Festival Orchestra.

Both of these are SACD, but I believe that both have Red Book layers, as well. However, both of these are very popular pieces and you can find many different, excellent recordings.

Oct 16, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #14 of 15
Try the mahler 2nd with litton and the dallas symphony orchestra.

I can personally vouch for the excellence of the recording and overall top-notch SQ on this CD. You can distinguish individuals in the choir on my setup. This CD is also mentioned (praised) in the mahler thread.

Oct 16, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Full orchestra and piano are among the most difficult to get "right", so really good technical recordings of Piano Concerto's are a bit of a rarity. But they do exist, and in some good music with good performances. Particularly I'm thinking of:

B000AMPZNU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1125334750_.jpg

The balance between the strings and brass is spot on, as is the balance between the piano and orchestra. And the mic's are placed fairly close, so you get a lot of detail. And for $3, you really can't go wrong. Only caveat is the timpani is a bit heavy sounding, but otherwise great stuff.

Concerto's in general are good for this reason, the balance between soloist and orchestra is very difficult to get right, and very difficult for bad stereo equipment to reproduce properly. Another recommendation:

B00005RIN5.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65930852_.jpg

Great recorded sound, plus Hahn is one of the very best violinists working today, from an artistic standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back