Classical music from ipod: which canal phone?
Apr 5, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #16 of 25
Episiarch: Nicely done. Thanks for that.

Assorted: I agree with you about the E500. Budget constraints alone have stopped me from buying a pair. The OP's son would surely love them, if the price fell within the OP's mystery budget and no one flinched when he took his $500 earphones on a weekend trip to rainy beach (or wherever he intends to use them -- the OP hasn't specified).

kentamcolin: For the second time, how much do you intend to spend on your son's earphones? We need to know your budget to make useful recommendations. Also: Under what conditions will your son be listening to his iPod?

Apr 5, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #17 of 25
I find the ER-4P's to be thoroughly enjoyable for classical music. The sheer amount of detail is stunning and allows for every instrument to speak out even in the most complex of passages. In my humble opinion, the neutral nature of them is perfect for complex, balanced music such as classical.

Going the ER-4P in lieu of the ER-4S is really the better choice when you are using an un-amped source. In addition to this, should you decide to reward yourself with an amplifier, a converter cable can easily be purchased or made.

Considering the price of the ER-4P hovers around $160 online new, there really isn't anything that can approach it in terms of classical enjoyment vs price.

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #18 of 25
2x Episiarch: I too have horrendous fit problems with the IM-716 and have a huge variety of eartips from Shure, Comfies, etc in varying sizes. They just plain hurt. BUT, could be my ears and their shapes since I had the same problem for awhile with the Vibes until I lealrned to use one size tip for leftear and another for the right.

Concerning that bass boost attachment: Bushguy recommends sending it off to have the entire thing recabled with that attachment removed. Haven't spent themoney on it but it's about $35 to have it done. Whether it's worth it or not--on top of the money already spent for the IEMs--is another issue.

All this said, though, I sorta like them for the money spent, once I had the eartip problem solved.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 25
Let's start with the fact that this thread is the wrong place. It addresses a question about which IEMs to use with an iPod and should be in the headphones forum. Then let's note that that we're now posting in the portable audio forum, where people have been known to say the H140 sounds "infinitely" better than the iPod. Let's establish that the truth is seldom as hyperbolic as the adverb "infinitely."

Now let's attempt to free this thread from the distracting hype that sometimes accumulates in these parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going the ER-4P in lieu of the ER-4S is really the better choice when you are using an un-amped source. In addition to this, should you decide to reward yourself with an amplifier, a converter cable can easily be purchased or made.

First, you didn't address the concerns of the original poster. Canal phones aren't a reward for the OP but rather a present for his son.

Second, the OP isn't talking about a generic "unamped source," he's talking about an iPod -- a device which is unusually loud even for a DAP. In my freaky-deaky experience, it benefits from an amp's clarity but never needs added volume.

Third, other posters on this thread have made the same vague claim as you -- all without offering any insights, close observations or empirical reasons to support said claim. This means said unsupported claim is gaining momentum in a thread asking for pragmatic advice, which could be a problem for the OP.

Perhaps you have years of experience with the 4P and 4S, or perhaps only with the 4P. Who knows? By not being specific, you render your conclusions meaningless at best, at worst, misleading. There is nothing wrong with saying, "from what I've read, the ER-4P is better." There is everything wrong with simply asserting the ER4P is better without saying why you think so. You might as well say, "the ER4S looks chubby and tastes like rectal bouillon."

Why exactly are you certain the ER-4P "is really the better choice when you are using an un-amped source?" Do you know this from personal experience or are you simply quoting an Etymotic brochure? If you're speaking from experience, then tell us what led you to this conclusion. If not, then inform us of the fact so that we can disregard the phrase "really is the best."

To sum: A conclusion offered without evidence or irony is a generalization. A repeated generalization becomes misinformation. Based on my search engine's findings, I know you're capable of better.

To kentamcolin:

Read some of the earlier Head-fi threads -- the ones dating from before Shure or anyone else was in the IEM market. If you do, you'll find it wasn't outrageous for members to prefer the ER-4S to the 4P for unamped as well as amped sources. Such assessments did not necessarily parrot previous texts. The most credible were derived from rounds of extended listening. (My theory: People paid closer attention to perceived differences because their IEM options hadn't yet become dizzyingly diverse.)

Case in point: I owned a pair of ER4P for years, and used them with and without the 4S adapter. Since then, I've owned the ER4S for a few years. In my experience, the unamped ER-4P rendered the iPod unbearably loud. When the iPod's volume bar was completely white (the equivalent of being set to zero), I could still hear the music's distant sibilant whisper. The very next increment of volume was often eyelid-crinklingly loud. Switching to the 4S afforded me a median level between the excruciating and the indistinct, which proved a hulking gurgling relief.

Moreover, using the adapter became impractical for mobile listening. In the first place, I hated carrying yet another wire in my iPod pouch. In the second, it made connecting to DAPs more elaborate. In the third, the adapter tended to catch on the lip of my inner coat pocket, which meant it stressed the iPod's headphone jack. (What's more, the extended cord looked unintentionally comic looping past the hem of my trench coat.) I still have the adapter; I haven't bothered selling it.

Right now, as I write, I'm using my ER-4S without an amp. (Normally, I prefer to augment same with my XP-7 and balanced ALO cotton dock at home and in the orifice, but I'm currently verifying a few things I've said in this post.) I'm listening to Shostakovich's Sonata for Viola and Piano on my iPod Photo with the volume set at about 30%. The quietest passages are perfectly audible without hiss, the loudest, without distortion. Now I'm listening to Chosen Lords by AFX. The ability to tame the volume is welcome and recommended. Now I'm listening to Webern's Concerto for Nine Instruments, which contains pianississimos (or triple pianissimos) and different dynamic markings for every other measure. Again, the volume is perfect.

Apr 8, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #20 of 25
ER4P sound just GREAT with a rockboxed 5.5G ipod. Never too loud, because you should use a precut of -10dB in the equalizer. Seems the ipod amp works best in the high volume range. The fact is this way sounds very good with all kinds of classical music. Last night had an eargasm with a soprano aria of the cantate BVW41 (Bach father, of course). Soooo beautiful!!.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 25
I have had a limited experience in the number of IEM's I have listened too. But those that I have it has been for a prolonged period of time (at least a month). So far I have listened to: ER-6i, ER-4P, ER-4S, V-Moda, UM-2, E500, and TripleFi.

IMO for an office environment I would say get something like the V-Moda because it allows you to hear the phone, or a co-worker coming into your office and asking you a question. For a noisy environment (subway ride, airplane, etc) there is no substitute for the Ety ER-4S.

For quite environments it is a bit of harder decision. Right now I would say it is between the ER-4S, E500, or the TripleFi. BTW you can increase the bass on the ER-4S a little with the use of foamies, IMO.

As far as a fun IEM the UM-2 or the V-Moda fit the bill specially if you are into heavy bass music. The UM-2 has a more extended treble than the V-Moda and it should at 3 times the price.

FWIW, I have found that the ER-4S sounds best out of a Xin's amp. Something like the Supermacro or Supermicro. A close contender would be the SR-71 or the LaRocco PRII. Good luck.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 25
er4p is good but in portable use you will barely hear the lower end, killing your piano and whatnot, or so is my opinion although I exlusively used them for a long time and still do.

Apr 8, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER4P sound just GREAT with a rockboxed 5.5G ipod. Never too loud, because you should use a precut of -10dB in the equalizer. Seems the ipod amp works best in the high volume range. The fact is this way sounds very good with all kinds of classical music. Last night had an eargasm with a soprano aria of the cantate BVW41 (Bach father, of course). Soooo beautiful!!.

Thanks for posting thoughts based on your own experience (a sadly rare approach on this thread until recently).

I tend not to use EQ with DAPs unless compensating for potentially hearing-hazardous sonic conditions. In my experience, the EQ on stock iPods is laughable and can't be used without artifacts.

One of my older iPods uses podzilla; both my H140s use Rockbox. I need to try Rockbox with my 4G to hear your setup for myself.

However, some people aren't comfortable changing the iPod's OS for various reasons: compatibility issues, indolent backup habits, fear of the wages of tinkering. Without knowing more, I'd assume it's unlikely the OP's son uses Rockbox on his iPod, since he's still using stock Apple earbuds.

Even so, I'm growing less interested in the OP's concerns, as he hasn't bothered to respond to any of our questions.

mrarroyo: Thanks for that. Blessingx has been saying the C&C Box achieves a good symbiosis with the ER4; its level of user tweakability (and the XO's) puts me in mind of Xin's amps.

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 25
The new C&C amp is gorgeous, makes me want to buy one. Even though I do not need it.
eek.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #25 of 25
Doesn't the 3G iPod's internal headphone amp suffer from bass roll-off? I'm one of the biggest ER•4 fans out there, but the experience out of my 4G iPod is disappointing because of the bass roll-off that my iPod's built-in headphone amp has. I don't know if the OP son's 3G iPod suffers from the same, but a search on this board might give the answer. My 1G iPod Shuffle fares a whole lot better with the ER•4 than the 4G/5G iPod (haven't heard a 5.5 yet). So unless using the iPod's line-out, it might be worthwhile using a different IEM.

If it was me, I'd get him the ER•4S, a pack of Comply tips, a thin MiniBox-D amp (anything will be better than the iPod's internal headphone amp, but also so I could evaluate it—evil, I know
evil_smiley.gif
) and a simple LOD. But that's just me.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back