Classical Music Cans with Decent Bass Impact
Mar 12, 2010 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

oceanwave1000

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a pair of classical music full size headphone for the price under 300 dollars.

I would like some decent bass impact, but with clarity and detailness not sacrificed.

Ultrasone seems to be on my mind right now.

I have tried hd650 and hd600, denon 1001k, ath-w10vtg, ultrasone hfi 550 ozma, and many others....

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 35
DT880/600. I always think they are initially made for Classical Music. IMO the beyerish basses greatly contribute to the realism of the music: The more instruments in the music, the better DT880 tolerates them.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 35
+1 for the DT880. But I would add that if you listen primarily to chamber music, solo instrument, or solo vocals where soundstaging is in reality limited anyway, I would consider some of the Grados as well. At the end of the day you really need two cans, one with good soundstaging and another that is more forward. A violin sonata on an AKG-K701 or DT880 will not be entirely satisfying. Just my two cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 35
You don't like the HD600 or HD650, and you think that the K701 is pants (quite right).

I think both the K701 and the DT880 are the immediate-vomit stock recommendations for you from people simply because they're not in the list of dynamic headphones you've not yet discovered that you don't like and fit close to your budget. I think that Ultrasone would be a very big mistake even if you went for the Edition 9, which although it has significant bass presence, also has in common with every closed headphone that shut-in quality to the sound which is ruinous to classical reproduction. It also costs Omega 2 money and in comparison to that headphone, is woefully lacking in sophistication.

What are your source and amp? Because not liking any of what you've tried so far could well be because you've not got enough power.

Have you decided that you don't like the character of planar bass? An orthodynamic or a used electrostat could be the next step to try.

Are you set on full size headphones? You may be happily surprised with what IEMs have to offer.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 35
I am listening to Wagner's Meistersinger right now, on my Grado 325is's,and it is very close to a live performance.I have sat throu it twice at the English National Opera and my armchair is much more comfy.
tongue.gif
.Just as much bass as a live performance plus all the detail. Suits me anyway..
PS used to have Ultrasones,but the Grado's made them sound busted......

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 35
If you are looking for a basshead can for classical, you ought to rethink things.

The bass monster headphones I've listened to ruin classical. My opinion, of course. The heavy-handed bass coloration throws off the tonal balance and makes the piece unlistenable.

You don't get kidney-rattling bass at a classical concert and neither should your headphones make that sound.

Bass coloration is to classical what autotune is to the human voice.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for the DT880. But I would add that if you listen primarily to chamber music, solo instrument, or solo vocals where soundstaging is in reality limited anyway, I would consider some of the Grados as well. At the end of the day you really need two cans, one with good soundstaging and another that is more forward. A violin sonata on an AKG-K701 or DT880 will not be entirely satisfying. Just my two cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with this assessment. Right now, I'm using Grado RS-1s for chamber music and HD650s for symphonic. It's really an excellent combination, and there are a number of amps that are really adept at making both sets of cans shine. I also have a set of DT990/600s en route and am excited to put them up against the Senns when it comes to large ensemble listening.
beyersmile.png

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanwave1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard the akg 701, and did not highly regard them as anything special.

Perhaps ultrasone, i heard ultrasone 550 through a regular amp, it sounded pretty good.

If the 701 is anything special, go with the HFI-550. I had the HFI-550 five years ago, today I have the K702 and I'm super happy with them, and the 550 sounds to me like a DJ hps or just fun basshead hps.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 35
I would also suggest the DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back