Classical music, and helping you realize your untapped love for it.
Jan 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 22
Ah Rachmaninoff. One of my all-time faves though not well known is the Symphonic Dances done by the Dallas Symphony under Donald Johanos' direction, this on a Vox Turnabout recording. You wouldn't ordinarily believe that a budget label such as Turnabout would produce records of audiophile pedigree, but such cases do exist, this recording being one. It has been on the Absolute Sounds' best recording list too, so I'm not the only one to think so.
Are you familiar with it?

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #17 of 22
Ah Rachmaninoff. One of my all-time faves though not well known is the Symphonic Dances done by the Dallas Symphony under Donald Johanos' direction, this on a Vox Turnabout recording. You wouldn't ordinarily believe that a budget label such as Turnabout would produce records of audiophile pedigree, but such cases exist, this recording being one. It has been on the Absolute Sounds best recording list too, so I'm not the only one to think so.
Are you familiar with it?

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #18 of 22
Here's another composer of the 20th Century who is a master not very well known, though he should be: Eduard Tubin for his later symphonies 6-11. For those who wish to expand their experience beyond the norm, he is well worth investigating. Other 20th Century greats I would recommend (I'm rather partial to the darker emotions of 20th Century music) are: Arthur Honegger, his 5 symphonies, anything by Poulenc, the Finnish composer Levi Matetoja, his 3 symphonies. I mention these composers b/c they are unknown but worthy of your attention if you are so inclined.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #19 of 22
I'm more of a piano and flute guy myself.
Not the american flute fyi.
Don't really appreciate trumpets and drums.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 22
Once you get past the title you'll find this is a great book for anyone just becoming interested in classical music. Very well explaind and with humor. If you buy it used make sure the CD is included.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 22
I really want to get into classical music more. Really bad. I have lots of Mozart and such, but I wish I had more of an idea on where to start. Everytime I Google it, I get Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin etc. What else should I look for?

Also, my brother passed away two years ago, and I can understand what he was saying perfectly.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #22 of 22
You're in luck, Mr Mdraluck!

Here is your answer.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/132136/ten-cds-to-introduce-new-listeners-to-classical-music

Get some of these CDs, or if you have a little more money to spend, buy this...

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Stereo-60-Collection-Box/dp/B003UCPEJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296710502&sr=8-1

When you get some music, sit down and listen to it twice. Read the liner notes. Check wikipedia for a composer bio. Then pm me and tell me what you think. If you let me know what of this you connected with, I can tell you where to go next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back