Classical Contemporary Music Thread
May 31, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #436 of 454
I have experienced this. I attended a concert that included the Rodrigo Fantasía para un gentilhombre in the Green Room of the Veterans Memorial Building in San Francisco. The room is about 30 ft x 60 ft. and it was small chamber orchestra and small audience. I sat in front, less than 10 ft from the guitarist. These were the best possible conditions you could ever hope for in a concerto performance with unamplified guitar. Yet whenever the orchestra came in even softly, the guitar was drowned out. Even under such ideal conditions the guitar needed amplification.

large_B_0187.jpg

I truly believe that the classical guitar (which I love) functions best in solo settings or in combination with other guitars. There are some exceptions (like the Henze piece I posted with mandolin and harp but then again I've never heard that piece live). Just IMO. Amplified classical guitar can be interesting to me if the amplification is an intentional part of the composition. For me, part of the charm of composition for acoustic instruments is the way composers use their skill to control the dynamics/balance of the ensemble. Just IMO though...

May 31, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #437 of 454
We've made information more accessible in the same way that jumping into an ocean with a lead bowling ball chained to your leg makes water more accessible.

Is Downtown Music Gallery still around?

Violet Archer - Green Rain

If you're referring to the Downtown Music Gallery in the East Village NYC then yes. I haven't been there in about 20 years though, I actually looked it up online to see if it was still there. I used to travel 3 hours to buy a few cds (for which I saved $ for MONTHS) and talk with people who knew about and cared about new music. It was that kind of experience which made the internet seam like a miracle to me. I find your ocean metaphor apt and am honestly surprised to find the DMG still exists. Says a lot about the community. That local community actually has (and had) a lot of musicians who play/care about new music so that helps.

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #441 of 454
George Perle - Wind Quintet No 4 perf Dorian Wind Quintet

Gubaidulina seems to be in the air. Piano Concerto 'introitus' Alexi Lubimov soloist

Surprised to learn Apex is considered a 'budget label', I keep running into their records on streaming services (aha maybe that's why) and they seem to be consistently good quality. I must have budget ears.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #442 of 454
Kurtág - 12 Microludes for String Quartet prf by Maxwell String Quartet.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #444 of 454

Personally I own this recording, which I like a lot – musically and sonically.

...and the name Alexei Lubimov appears again.

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #446 of 454
I truly believe that the classical guitar (which I love) functions best in solo settings or in combination with other guitars. There are some exceptions (like the Henze piece I posted with mandolin and harp but then again I've never heard that piece live). Just IMO. Amplified classical guitar can be interesting to me if the amplification is an intentional part of the composition. For me, part of the charm of composition for acoustic instruments is the way composers use their skill to control the dynamics/balance of the ensemble. Just IMO though...
It all depends on the GUITAR used.

I recorded a new modern music piece two years ago. Only the second time it has been performed in public.
Mezzosoprano, accordeon, guitar and - gulp! - one hell of a kitchen department (aka percussion) ... - in a monestary recently made available/renovated for concerts. Huge space of rather unconventional acoustical properties - but in a good way.
One would expect the poor guitar would emerge in the concert heard live and on the recording using simple 2 mic recording techniques - as next to inaudible.
Wrong ... my jaw hit the floor the moment the first note on THAT guitar was being played ! That guitar had no trouble whatsoever cutting even trough the at times dense percussion...
It was the poor mezzo ( a very good one, specializing in modern music repertoire ) that had to fight for her life troughout the whole piece.
And, I concur the part of the charm for the acoustical piece is the way composers use their skill to control the dynamics/balance/inteligibility of singing of the entire ensemble.
Good luck with pointing out this fact to the composer (s), though ... - or, put it another way,

The Unbearable Lightness of Multimiking & Fix In The Mix

- as a necessary integral part of the composition itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back