Classical Contemporary Music Thread
Jul 16, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #17 of 454
Listening to Andrzej Panufnik violin concerto a decent amount lately.

Also found this youtube channel called Second Inversion recently, which records performances of new(ish) music.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #18 of 454

Also found this youtube channel called Second Inversion recently, which records performances of new(ish) music.

Thanks for posting!

I realize there are many great youtube channels featuring new music, your mention is new to me though.
My hope with this thread is:

1. To discover more new music.
2, To see what kind of  presence new music occupies in the Head-Fi community.
3. To encourage exchange of new music.
4. To raise the exposure of new music to the rest of the Head-Fi community.
5. To encourage conversation/criticism/opinion about new music.
6. MAYBE to attract new music people to Head-Fi(for better or worse 
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Logically speaking, if people continue posting in this thread, it will continue to appear in the recently viewed notification and thus attract attention and thus attract viewing. We`ll see what happens, this thread appears to have been have been an epic failure when initiated years ago...

Speaking of youtube channels featuring new music, here is an interesting one I recently discoverred hosted by the ensemble proton bern:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-ZEqXoR7-LHZfWGnKKhMkA

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #19 of 454

Audio links are equally welcome as video (for me anyway)....

Actually words are good too!

Okay, here are some words which I hope will be helpful.

Vladimir Godar is a Slovenian composer who had a minor hit a few years ago with his vocal work Mater. I didn't think much of that (or the recording anyway), but I like his instrumental work. His Concerto Grosso and Partita for Orchestra are fun, atmospheric pieces. You'll spot the influence of Bartok and Schnittke. The Concerto Grosso has a presto movement which is liked cracked Vivaldi.
The Cello Sonata is the strongest work of his that I've heard. I think it's great (better than Schnittke's), and should be part of any soloist's repertoire. It is more romantic than some of his pieces, but still uses some modern playing techniques. It has a bit of the flavour of Shostakovich's viola sonata IMO.
https://youtu.be/qi5QLvBwfFg

Avet Terterian was an Armenian composer. His symphonies are like soundscapes, but not as banal as that word implies. His most recorded work is the 3rd symphony, which includes raucous native pipes as well as very quiet atmospheric moments. The 4th symphony is also great but quite depressing. I tried to listen to his Earthquake opera (it's on youtube) but found it unbearable, very slow and horrendously morbid. Stick with the symphonies.
https://youtu.be/jgMvE-_8hpk

Giya Kancheli has a mixed reputation, doesn't he! His more sentimental pieces are sticky sweet, but I think there is something in his symphonies. Unfortunately the mediocre conductor Kakhidze is regarded as his "prime interpreter", and there are few good alternatives. I like the 7th symphony conducted by Jurowski, and there is also a good live version on YT. As with most of my favourite Soviet composers, he is very much a successor to Mahler and Shostakovich (and also Liszt, a major influence on Russian music starting from Tchaikovsky). His "symphonies" don't really follow formal structures and are more like long tone poems. Very emotional and hyperbombastic. Some of the pianissimos are inaudible.
ANYWAY, A Little Daneliade is nothing like that! It's a lot of fun, in Spivakov's performance anyway. There are a few other performances on YT but they are not as good. Kremer's is awful - he doesn't understand the humour at all and tries to turn it into a dirge.
https://youtu.be/FOnBFfhGvf4

Alfred Schnittke is the best known of this bunch. His best works mix classicism, romanticism and modernism in a crazy stew, which is better than it sounds.
The Piano Quintet is perhaps his greatest work, personal and quite moving. Concerto Grosso No. 1 is more of a romp, and its warped classicism was obviously an influence on Godar's Concerto Grosso. I tried to find the original Melodiya recording on YT, but only Kremer's later version is available.
https://youtu.be/n7gn-oHMxO4
https://youtu.be/M3Xehs1rHfM

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #21 of 454
  To whom and why?
beerchug.gif

To be honest, I agree with the points you`ve made regarding Kancheli and Schnittke.
I don`t know enough about the other 2 to make an assesment.

I promise to listen and reflect.
Sometimes it takes decades for me to understand though.
redface.gif

Maybe we`ll both be around then or maybe I`ll have a better understanding soon.

The part about to "whom and why" I am in fact genuinely interested in as well.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 454
I enjoy Schnittke, especially his string quartets. It reminds me I have a lot to thank Kronos Quartet for- their recordings of his quartets are the ones I am familar with- somehow became a fan of theirs as a kid, I think becasue I thought their name sounded cool
confused_face.gif
, introduced me to such a wide variety of music I doubt it's possible to overstate how much they have influenced the music I listen to (or rather my almost total lack of musical taste, because I will listen to just about anything). Especially their compilation albums, such as Winter Was Hard, Black Angels, Early Music, introduced me to composers like Schnittke, Morton Feldman, John Zorn, Tan Dun, George Crumb, Steve Reich, Harry Partch, Shostakovitch, etc...

I will have to check out the Concerto Grosso recording by Kremer, another favorite of mine.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #24 of 454
  I enjoy Schnittke, especially his string quartets. It reminds me I have a lot to thank Kronos Quartet for- their recordings of his quartets are the ones I am familar with- somehow became a fan of theirs as a kid, I think becasue I thought their name sounded cool
confused_face.gif
, introduced me to such a wide variety of music I doubt it's possible to overstate how much they have influenced the music I listen to (or rather my almost total lack of musical taste, because I will listen to just about anything). Especially their compilation albums, such as Winter Was Hard, Black Angels, Early Music, introduced me to composers like Schnittke, Morton Feldman, John Zorn, Tan Dun, George Crumb, Steve Reich, Harry Partch, Shostakovitch, etc...

I will have to check out the Concerto Grosso recording by Kremer, another favorite of mine.

I had a similar experience regarding the Kronos Quartet.
I think they were very important(especially) in the USA for exposure to Schittke`s(as well as other composers) music.
Here`s an interesting little video of The Kronos on the subject of some interesting Ukrainian Music.
(To my Ukrainian friends:peace in Ukraine!!!!)

I`m also quite fond of Kremer`s recordings of Schnittke`s music.The Concerto Grosso mentioned here stunned me when I first heard it 15 years ago or so.
Kremer`s recordings of Schnittke`s Violin Concertos are also quite excellent.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #26 of 454
Nice to read all the praise for Terterian's music. Such a unique composer! I read somewhere that Terterian was admired by Shostokovich quite a bit back in the day. 

There's another Armenian composer I really admire, Edward Manukyan. Those who like clarinet trios will definitely know his masterpiece from as recent as 10 years ago. It's the most famous clarinet trio by a living composer and (to me at least) superior to Bartok's and Khachaturian's. Very original piece with some smart textures and exotic melodies.

Here's a great performance:

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 454
  Nice to read all the praise for Terterian's music. Such a unique composer! I read somewhere that Terterian was admired by Shostokovich quite a bit back in the day. 

There's another Armenian composer I really admire, Edward Manukyan. Those who like clarinet trios will definitely know his masterpiece from as recent as 10 years ago. It's the most famous clarinet trio by a living composer and (to me at least) superior to Bartok's and Khachaturian's. Very original piece with some smart textures and exotic melodies.

Here's a great performance:

Another new composer for me.

I`ll check it out later when I get home.
"Superior than Bartok`s" is a bold claim indeed!
Bartok is probably my favorite composer so I`m defintely  biased.

I`m not familiar with the Khachaturian trio either.
Although I do enjoy his symphonies and concerto writing I haven`t ventured into his chamber works....

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #29 of 454

Another new composer for me.

I`ll check it out later when I get home.
"Superior than Bartok`s" is a bold claim indeed!
Bartok is probably my favorite composer so I`m defintely  biased.

I`m not familiar with the Khachaturian trio either.
Although I do enjoy his symphonies and concerto writing I haven`t ventured into his chamber works....

Bartok's my absolute favorite. It's just I think (and I've heard many people say the same) that his trio is not really among is best works. Some of the passages are too weakly related to the piece and I find some of it pretty dull, even though I do enjoy the work overall. I usually listen to the first movement alone, which I think is an excellent experimentation with jazz and folk music.

To my knowledge, Khachaturian wrote strictly symphonic music and the Trio is an exception. Next to the Manukyan trio, it seems strikingly inferior... Unimaginative with little development and tiring repetitions. Pretty ironic since I read somewhere that Manukyan considers him his hero. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #30 of 454
I heard a live performance of the Manukyan trio in a New York concert last year and it was quite an experience! The music is indeed very rich and exotic. Edward Manukyan is an American with Armenian roots and I think he makes the most of his diverse background in his compositions. Lots of influences there.

First time I heard of Avet Terterian and his works are dazzlingly good!! Needs to come with a warning though. I can see permanent hearing loss happening if you keep your hand away from the volume control for too long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back