Classical Contemporary Music Thread
Aug 6, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #47 of 454

It`s all good to me 
smile.gif

On a personal level, I would find it interesting to see how this thread could reflect all these areas.
Generally speaking I think all these genre`s are all underrepresented on Headfi these days.
I`ve observed many open minded contemporary thinking folks see connections in these domaines anyway.
I  think mutually exclusive stylistic thinking generally is rather rare these days.

Considering this thread also years ago had like 4 posts and died I would like it to be inclusive and prosper.
Connections could be explored.

The Ligeti piece you`ve mentioned I`ve always found interesting because of the lack of electronic music in his catalog.
To me, it seems much of his musical thinking could have been easier to produce electronically.
Also, I`ve had the opportunity to hear a good deal of his music performed live in the past and (live especially) it`s sometimes hard to comprehend how much of the sounds could be produced by an ensemble of humans.

Creatively scored film stuff would also be good IMO:
I think with youtube we should all keep in mind that anything we post could simply vanish one day though so get it while you can.....

I've never thought about Ligeti's music in those terms, but similar thoughts have crossed my mind when listening to Philip Glass and Steve Reich :)
I'm currently making my way through that dissertation I linked to, it includes some interesting thoughts on his electronica works, and how it relates to his later works. Theodor Adorno gets a mention, and Karlheinz Stockhausen (who was also in Dresden, studying similar methods and concepts).

I really liked that film, including the music. I tried to find more from Luc Ferrari on YouTube, but it seems you're right about things vanishing…

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #48 of 454

I really liked that film, including the music. I tried to find more from Luc Ferrari on YouTube, but it seems you're right about things vanishing…

Luc Ferrari was a pioneer.
The GRM has a great box set that has his more formidable stuff:

http://www.discogs.com/Luc-Ferrari-LŒuvre-Électronique/release/1793296

Incidentally, the GRM in France was (and still is) a tremendous place and produced some of the most important research/music in the history of Electronic music.

You tube is a tremendous educational resource but can`t see it continuing on in such a sprawling manner.
Many artists are not happy with the financial model and there has been continuing pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back