Classical Contemporary Music Thread
Sep 21, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #91 of 454
  I am a big fan of Ligeti. I have listen to to the Sony recordings countless times. He and Bartok have to be my favorite 20th century classical composers. I must have been Hungarian in a previous life.

Agree for both. My first Ligeti was his Cello concerto which I incidentally heard live played by Perényi. It was mesmerizing, which made me continue with other Ligeti works.
Bartok, although a giant, died already 70 years ago, making him almost a "classic" compared to the contemporaries of today.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #92 of 454
I think I've been a Ligeti fan ever since I first saw 2001: A Space Odyssey.

He was my introduction to contemporary classical music (as far as I can remember), which is probably part of the reason why he still holds such a special place for me.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #93 of 454
The thing about Ligeti is that for someone who has spent time in a concentration camp, he has a pretty solid sense of humor. Just listen to Nonsense Madrigals for example. I guess you either lose your mind, or develop a strong sense of irony after an experience like that.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #94 of 454

Soon!

beerchug.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #100 of 454

Anybody heard Benjamin Yusupov's Viola, Tango, Rock concerto? The soloist plays acoustic violin, electric violin, viola and dances tango with a partner. There are "male" and "female" versions, depending on the soloist gender. Heard it once live with a female soloist, was quite impressive.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #103 of 454
I watched a documentary on Iannis a while back, Charisma X.
I knew he fought in the resistance, was forced in exile by the junta, and worked for short time as an architect under Corbusier, but this film really filled things out and brought everything together, with his music.

À propos Corbusier and Xenakis:

This was originally a part of the Philips Pavilion at the 1958 Brussels World Fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back