Classical CDs and Recordings
Nov 14, 2011 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dmyster

New Head-Fier
Hey all, questions, I always have some haha. I've always been a casual classical listener but recently I've really started to love it. I've been looking for some cds to purchase but have learned that recording/mastering qualities vary quite a bit and have no knowledge whatsoever concerning what is good and what is not.

I'm looking to expand my classical cd collection and was wondering what you guys look for in cds/sacds that denote quality recordings/masterings and if there are any companies that are known for good quality and just in general what are some highly regarded recordings. Additionally, I'm looking for a good quality recording of Bruckner and Brahm's symphonies and Mozart's The Magic Flute.

Thanks for any and all input! Happy listening 
beyersmile.png

Dmyster

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 15
Nov 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 15
Nov 15, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 15
Sound quality isN't really an issue with classical music. Most stereo recordings sound good. Performance quality is the issue.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 15
For the Bruckner symphonies, there's a good value box from Riccardo Chailly with the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin and Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra; even cheaper is Jochum and the Staatskapelle Dresden.  For Brahms, you couldn't go wrong with Barenboim and the CSO or Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Andre Rieu CDs are usually alright. Although he is not a great violinist, his orchestra is very well made and his violin sounds so sweet.

Why would anyone buy  schmalzy trash played by a not-great violinist?

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 15
Among (those marketed as) 1st tier violin soloists of the modern era, I can't think of any that are sloppier. Maybe Ferras. I heard Perlman live twice and both times his intonation was seriously sub-par.  Of course he got standing ovations anyhow. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 15
If you like strings...of the quartet variety...I have a few Emerson String Quartet albums that are excellent.  I have The Art of Fugue and the Mozart string quartet collection.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Among (those marketed as) 1st tier violin soloists of the modern era, I can't think of any that are sloppier. Maybe Ferras. I heard Perlman live twice and both times his intonation was seriously sub-par.  Of course he got standing ovations anyhow. 

Funnily, I happen to be a person born with Perfect Pitch and I think he has a very good pitch. But music is subjective and my ears are clearly way different than yours. Give me some recommendations on some 1st tier violin soloists of the modern era. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 15
Search Amazon for "RCA Living Stereo", these are old recording 1950, 60 & 70 but some of the best quality recordings and performances you'll find. They can be had new at a very reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back