Classical Buffs: How Do You Tag?
Dec 20, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Henry, do any players display the composer? I have an old Rio and a couple of iPods and they don't.

My ipod does (5G) - that's why I was surprised not to find it in the fuze. You might have to turn it on in the Settings menu, but it's there.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 23
Well, I'm pretty happy with what I've come up with and I don't think I'll change it anytime soon.

Ex.:

Artist: Claudio Abbado / London Symphony Orchestra

Title: Symphony No. 4 in A major, op. 90 "Italian": I. Allegro vivace

Album: Mendelssohn: 5 Symphonies, 7 Overtures

Genre: Classical

Composer (optional): Felix Mendelssohn (1809 - 1847)

This format serves me well and looks tidy. Oh and sometimes I group the movements into a piece in iTunes and turn on the shuffle by groups in iTunes setting.

Dec 20, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 23
I generally collect many, many recordings of the same work, so the recording year comes into play for me. For example, Rene Jacobs' 2007 recording of Don Giovanni would look like this:

Don Giovanni: 2007 / Jacobs

I would then insert "Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus" as both the Artist and Composer, since I already have the name of the conductor in the title itself.

Dec 21, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Flower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ipod does (5G) - that's why I was surprised not to find it in the fuze. You might have to turn it on in the Settings menu, but it's there.

If you mean browsing by composer, I knew about that. I was thinking about the composer being displayed when the music was playing. I'd love a player that could cycle though the supported tags in it's display. My old Rio could do this but it didn't support that many tags.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #20 of 23
I usually list the composer as artist and the title of the piece as the album. With a few exceptions, I don't have multiple versions of the same piece. In those cases, I'll just put a (1) or (2) after the title.

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 23
For Itunes I tag Composer in composer field; Artist in Artist field (Orchestra, conductor); Album Title in Album title; Album Artist is soloist (and is entered in every track so that album isn't broken up. Each Track (song) features composer's name:work,movement no., tempo marking. I tried putting the composer in the artist field, but I found that whenever the music became disorganized (every time I change computers), it was impossible to get the tracks straight. When it was organized by artist it became very easy to get everything straightened out again. Another thing: Itunes now has a Lyrics tab, and I do use this for all manner of things (not just lyrics). I've put album and composer notes into the lyrics tab, instrument information when it's a period instrument performance; and of course lyrics for lieder and other songs with translations which is very handy for Mahler and Schubert. I only wish I had the patience to put in the whole libretto of an opera too.

For my data base (Music Collector), Composer goes in Artist/Composer field -- more than one composer can be listed; Album title in Album title field; Label; Format (CD,SACD,LP,DVD); Conductor/Soloist (for instrumental recordings); Orchestra; Chorus. Then in subfolders I list tracks and times with names of individual works if cd contains more than one work; another subfolder lists musicians and their instruments; another subfolder for recording venue, date, engineers. There is a third subfolder for pictures of cover and back art; another subfolder for links; etc. It also lists the location (which is very handy considering that I have more than two chests constaining the cds, and some of them land up in my husband's office.) It's pretty comprehensive and a pain to keep up!

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean browsing by composer, I knew about that. I was thinking about the composer being displayed when the music was playing. I'd love a player that could cycle though the supported tags in it's display. My old Rio could do this but it didn't support that many tags.

Sorry, misunderstood. Rockbox can display composers, depending on how you configure the while playing screen.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 23
I've come up with a system that I'm very happy with thus far. All my music is in FLAC and I use custom tags (works brilliantly with Squeezebox etc.).

Here goes -- a recording of Duruflé's Requiem would look like this:

File system folder structure:

/Choral/By Composer/Duruflé, Maurice/The Duruflé Album: Requiem, Messe cum jubilo, Notre Père (Voices of Ascension - Keene)

Tags:

ALBUM: The Duruflé Album: Requiem, Messe cum jubilo, Notre Père
TITLE: Requiem, Op .9: I. Introit
GENRE: Choral; Requiem
COMPOSER: Maurice Duruflé
CONDUCTOR: Denis Keene
ENSEMBLE: Voices of Ascension
WORK: Requiem, Op. 9
PERFORMERS: Patricia Spence, mezzo-soprano; François Le Roux, baritone; Mark Bleeke, tenor
LABEL: Delos Records

==========================

On the Squeezebox, I have a number of custom browse menus setup where I can search by:

Composer > Work > Ensemble
Composer > Work > Conductor
Conductor > Composer > Work > Ensemble

and so on... It really works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back