Class A and adjustable crossfeed for under $600 ?
Nov 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Angular Mo

100+ Head-Fier
any suggestions for a headphone amp that has both class A and crossfeed ?

the XM6 looks interesting, but I beleive it does not have Class A, neither does AHA-120, nor Meier's.

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Because I do not have a Class A amp yet, and would like to evaluate if it improves the listening experience.

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 7
oops, I meant to write that; 
XM6 is not Class A,
AHA-120 does not have cross feed
Meier stepdance, I think, is not Class A

interested in having both....

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 7
You might want to look for a used Corda Cross-I, which is a standalone crossfeed unit. They were manufactured for several years and they do turn up. I also believe the schematic for it is available, so you could build one or have one built. Then you could use any amp you want.

You'll also find a number of older Corda amps with fully adjustable crossfeed built in. They're excellent units, which is why they don't come up for sale terribly often.

Also, don't get hung up on class A. Yes, it has benefits, but not all class A amps sound the same and there's a lot more going on inside the box than the operating class.

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 7
i vouch for the class a experience. most tube amps are class A anyway.

especially for headphones, you won't have problems driving the bass as you would with normal speakers.

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Class A is no guarantee of performance, it's just one method of operation.

A class A OTL with a high output impedance would have poor bass control. A good class AB amp with output transformers and a low output impedance would handle the bass much, much better.

Class A is one of those things thrown out as a sales gimmick. By itself, class A is no guarantee of performance or quality. There's a lot more to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back