CLAS/RxMK2 or Apex Glacier
Oct 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ThePrince425

100+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow Headfiers, would need some help here. I've been considering a CLAS/RxMK2 combo to go with my iphone 5 but having recently found out that ios7 accepts non-MFI dacs, I am starting to get interested in the Apex Glacier given the slimmer profile. I've briefly demo-ed the Glacier with my IE8, but quite honestly, as great as it sounds, i'm not too good a critical listener to discern the nuances that so many are praising. I can tell some differences on the transparency, brighter mids and highs, as compared to my current Sony PHA-1, but hey, i could have been biased having read all the awesome reviews. So to surmise, a few questions: 1) Are the two options (CLAS combo or Glacier) a recommended step up from the Sony PHA-1? 2) Which between the two would be better? Vague, I know, but would like some opinions. I generally listen to jazz, funk, rock, classical when I need to zone out, looking to go with my IE8. Appreciate the help :)

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hello fellow Headfiers, would need some help here. I've been considering a CLAS/RxMK2 combo to go with my iphone 5 but having recently found out that ios7 accepts non-MFI dacs, I am starting to get interested in the Apex Glacier given the slimmer profile. I've briefly demo-ed the Glacier with my IE8, but quite honestly, as great as it sounds, i'm not too good a critical listener to discern the nuances that so many are praising. I can tell some differences on the transparency, brighter mids and highs, as compared to my current Sony PHA-1, but hey, i could have been biased having read all the awesome reviews. So to surmise, a few questions: 1) Are the two options (CLAS combo or Glacier) a recommended step up from the Sony PHA-1? 2) Which between the two would be better? Vague, I know, but would like some opinions. I generally listen to jazz, funk, rock, classical when I need to zone out, looking to go with my IE8. Appreciate the help :)

I cant comment on the  Glacier, are you talking about the original CLAS or the -r or -db?

i owned the Original Clas and the ALO RX mk2 amp. the combo is excellent. the mk2 has excellent bass impact and slam, excellent transparency, in my opinion the rx mk2 doesnt really emphasize on any one particular frequency like i said it does have great bass impact and slam. mids and highs arent emphasized but  i would say they are slightly bright, but i wouldnt say completely bright. i know maybe i dont make sense lol, i have had a few amps since the mk2 so i cant directly give a direct opinion.

IMO the original CLAS is excellent also. the original CLAS has the Wolfson Reference Dac, the newer CLAS has the AKM dac chips.....the original clas i feel also contributes to the bass giving more depth and control, both the mk2 and clas paired have excellent soundstage, excellent imaging...i guess in general, everything imo is just excellent with those 2 paired.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 4
IMO the original CLAS is excellent also. the original CLAS has the Wolfson Reference Dac, the newer CLAS has the AKM dac chips.....the original clas i feel also contributes to the bass giving more depth and control, both the mk2 and clas paired have excellent soundstage, excellent imaging...i guess in general, everything imo is just excellent with those 2 paired.
is there much difference in sound between the old and new version of CLAS?

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 4
is there much difference in sound between the old and new version of CLAS?

well the new clas has the AKM chip, and the older CLAS has the Wolfson Dac. personally i like the wolfson sound vs the AKM sound. to me the wolfson sound is a little warmer not completely warm but warmer than the AKM imo. also the wolfson in my opinion has more of a bass emphasis where as the AKM to me is a little thinner of a sound and a little more analytical or sterile...thats just my opinion.

i feel the older clas with the wolfson has excellent instrument separatiom, it gives the impression that there is space between everything... i guess you would just have to hear the combo to understand what i mean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back